Does anyone recognize the maker, S&U, on this M1840 Sword?

M60 Driver

Does anyone recognize the maker, S&U, on this M1840 Sword?  I got nothing on Google. and judging from the scabbard it is not all that old.

And as always, thanks in advance.

m1840 sword.jpg

I don’t know for sure but I believe it’s a reproduction.  Markings look cheezy and so does the hilt.  It would be date stamped in any case if it was a US 1840 NCO Sword.  It has no age to it at all…even if well cared for, the brass was not gilt and would show a degree of patina on a genuine sword.

Aside from the questionable stamping, the rough casting, and the new appearance others have mentioned, I would say the hilt is very off from the original pattern.  Where the guard and grip meet the pommel, there is a more lathed appearance that differs from an original example.

The stamps are upside down.  Aside from that, it's always cool to include overall shots.  Especially if hoping to include discussion about the scabbard.  Windlass, Deepeeka and Universal Swords are producing these swords and there are no doubt others both past and present.

Also cool to offer a reference or provenance for the sword in question.  Was this a purchase?

Finally, it is m1840, not m1940 but few will be confused.

Cheers

GC

an edit to add that it is not the current three mentioned as pictured on Kult of Athena

On 11/29/2021 at 12:20 PM, Horseclover said:

The stamps are upside down.  Aside from that, it's always cool to include overall shots.  Especially if hoping to include discussion about the scabbard.  Windlass, Deepeeka and Universal Swords are producing these swords and there are no doubt others both past and present.

Also cool to offer a reference or provenance for the sword in question.  Was this a purchase?

Finally, it is m1840, not m1940 but few will be confused.

Cheers

GC

an edit to add that it is not the current three mentioned as pictured on Kult of Athena

Thanks CG.  I edited the "1840" date to correct the faulty model date.  Also, you are absolutely right that showing overall photos helps viewers better answer questions since they do not have the item in hand like the original poster does.  Finally, please do quote sources for information given such as the name of the book or article one might find this info in to further research the edged weapon.