M1 Helmet relic BIG RED ONE

MathieuBelgique1944

MathieuBelgique1944

Hello,

The person selling this helmet received the helmet and Im asking for opinions with these new pictures of the helmet. It was cleaned in oxalic acid. The before clean picture is attached.

IMG-20211015-WA0009.jpg.efceca31b759f5d77399ac8d15349580-1.jpg

20211123_142347.jpg

20211123_142424.jpg

20211123_144844.jpg

CavalryCombatant

I’m rather skeptical whenever I see a painted helmet, this one being no exception. 

I don’t see any insignia on the helmet before it was cleaned.  

My opinion isn’t worth much, but I’m not a huge fan.

MathieuBelgique1944
25 minutes ago, CavalryCombatant said:

I’m rather skeptical whenever I see a painted helmet, this one being no exception. 

I don’t see any insignia on the helmet before it was cleaned.  

My opinion isn’t worth much, but I’m not a huge fan.

There is still paint on the helmet because it was cleaned with Oxalic acid. The oxalic acid can show old paintjobs on wwii relic helmets here another examples. Alot of times you wont see a decal until it is treated in the oxalic. The isignia is only visible in the right light otherwise its very hard to see.

Screenshot_20211124-184135_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20211124-184144_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20211124-184158_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20211124-184205_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20211124-184227_Instagram.jpg

MathieuBelgique1944
9 hours ago, The Rooster said:

I think its awesome ! Quite a relic. Where was it found and what is the story behind it please.

Thank you.

Hello:)

This helmet comes from a French guy that collects relics. He has dog tags from KIA guys etc. Alot of these relics are found in the Normandy area ( where he also lives ). This possibly is a sad reminder of a soldier that was killed in action or wounded and lost his helmet.

MathieuBelgique1944
9 hours ago, max0073 said:

Hi,

not sure but I think I see some red paint in rust holes, which should not be.

Max

That is pitting theres also olive drab in some of the pitting on the helmet.

MathieuBelgique1944
3 hours ago, max0073 said:

Hi,

I'm thinking about that :

Max

2051715611_2021-11-263-3-46.jpg.06b0de333ed692676d231ba128dfb03b.jpg.c7164aeaa3975df0bac8cc2a50a5c0c4.jpg

Why wouldnt that be possible ? I see more holes with some green paint as well. Its not such a big hole neither. Looks like the paint there chipped off partly as well

I'm no expert, but I like it.

It does not appear fake to my eye in any way.

Many thousands of US troops fought in France.

Theres prob still many helmets and pieces of gear etc etc buried half buried lying in forest and fields

from both World Wars..

The OP's helmet is a fake. Red paint in the pitting is a dead give away as has been pointed out previously. No matter how much you try,  you cannot wish a fake to become real.

MathieuBelgique1944
13 hours ago, Bugme said:

The OP's helmet is a fake. Red paint in the pitting is a dead give away as has been pointed out previously. No matter how much you try,  you cannot wish a fake to become real.

What a nonsense. I have found relic helmets myself and put them in oxalic acid and they also have some paint in some of the pitting. Im looking for serious opinions how it is faked since i see literally no marks of it being faked. 

Why would anyone go to all the trouble of faking a symbol on a rusted relic M1?

Seems like it would be an awful lot of trouble for something that prob would not sell for much?

dhcoleterracina

Apparently it's for sale. I haven't heard the price. Anyone know it???  Knowing the price might answer your question on why someone would do this.  

Relic helmets with painted insignia still command a pretty high price. After all it’s a unit marked helmet from the actual battlefield said unit fought at. If it can be faked it will be. I’ve seen plenty of fairly convincing “dug” airborne helmets being sold at a premium that were concluded fake etc. im sure you could find some old threads here about them. 

MathieuBelgique1944
26 minutes ago, David D said:

Relic helmets with painted insignia still command a pretty high price. After all it’s a unit marked helmet from the actual battlefield said unit fought at. If it can be faked it will be. I’ve seen plenty of fairly convincing “dug” airborne helmets being sold at a premium that were concluded fake etc. im sure you could find some old threads here about them. 

Airborne helmets can fetch around $1500 if dug yes. A 1st ID in this condition will go way below that. Its not a M2 D bail helmet of a rare airborne unit. Im also looking for an opiniom from people that actually dug up relics themselves. A belgian guy that digs relics says he sees nothing weird and the pitting is because the person that found the helmet let the helmet dry first before putting it in the oxalic acid. He also says sometimes little paint in a pitting hole isnt impossible at all. So i would like actual relic diggers to give their opinion. I think it would be easier for someone to fake a 1st division isignia on a good condition helmet than on a oxalic cleaned relic such as this. I also wonder how they faded the isignia if its fake since i see no signs of sandpaper or other items.