Need information on this rate Turret Captain

warroom1

Looks like a Chief Turret Captain on either the Navy Aviation working green or the USMC green service jacket. I'm gonna say most likely aviation working greens though. Also looks like it has the unauthorized red stripes too. 

I inquired about this particular rating badge a year or so ago.  I can't figure a situation where it would be worn.  John Helvey had mentioned years ago that a Turret Captain served in gun mounts with 5.5 inch or larger guns.  That would eliminate the turrets on most if not all carriers.  How would it apply to an Aviation green uniform?  The material, as stated in post #3 would seem to be for the USMC uniform.  I'm thinking it might be a manufacturer's practice of making badges for all specialty marks without any actual need. 

Here's my post from last year: 

Spectacular Bullion Navy Rates

busternfo replied to dpcsdan's topic in NAVY, COAST GUARD AND OTHER SEA SERVICES

Hello Everyone, Does anyone know the story behind why this badge CPO Turret Captain in green would exist? I can't come up with a scenario where this rating badge would be worn? The green material is the old USMC felt-like cloth, not gabardine, serge, or other dress uniform material. I apologize if this has been covered before somewhere on the forum. Thanks, Dennie

May 16, 2020

Turret Captains (the rate), we’re in 6 inch or larger turrets. Light & Heavy Cruisers and Battleships. I can not think of any reason this would exist.  

4 hours ago, busternfo said:

I inquired about this particular rating badge a year or so ago.  I can't figure a situation where it would be worn.  John Helvey had mentioned years ago that a Turret Captain served in gun mounts with 5.5 inch or larger guns.  That would eliminate the turrets on most if not all carriers.  How would it apply to an Aviation green uniform?  The material, as stated in post #3 would seem to be for the USMC uniform.  I'm thinking it might be a manufacturer's practice of making badges for all specialty marks without any actual need. 

Here's my post from last year: 

Spectacular Bullion Navy Rates

busternfo replied to dpcsdan's topic in NAVY, COAST GUARD AND OTHER SEA SERVICES

Hello Everyone, Does anyone know the story behind why this badge CPO Turret Captain in green would exist? I can't come up with a scenario where this rating badge would be worn? The green material is the old USMC felt-like cloth, not gabardine, serge, or other dress uniform material. I apologize if this has been covered before somewhere on the forum. Thanks, Dennie

May 16, 2020

I think you're right. Similar concept to unauthorized rates where the manufacturers thought the navy would need them so they made them without being told to. 

there were 24 essex class aircraft carriers most uf not all had 4 turrets all were 5 inch guns \avation coloers could had very well worn this rate just my take as this was my talk with john stacey about 3 years ago thanks all for your input wish all a great and happy thanksgiving

41 minutes ago, warroom1 said:

there were 24 essex class aircraft carriers most uf not all had 4 turrets all were 5 inch guns \avation coloers could had very well worn this rate just my take as this was my talk with john stacey about 3 years ago thanks all for your input wish all a great and happy thanksgiving

Except Turret Captains we’re NOT assigned to 5 inch guns. 6 inch or bigger. 5 inch guns had “Gun Captains”, which is a title/position, not a specific rate. 

As originally designed, the Lexington and several other pre war carriers did carry 8 inch guns. They would have had TCs for them. But, not being “Aviation Centric”, the TCs would not have worn Aviation Green uniforms. They were ships company, not Air Wing, in a non aviation rate. A CV lot of expense for a uniform that was not needed. 

23 hours ago, warroom1 said:

many thanks for your insight could they be serving with usmc large cal gun ashore

I’m not aware of that ever happening during WW2. Furring WW1, the USN operated Rail Road Guns, of 14 inch. Great history. They wore US Army uniforms with regular insignia from USN blue uniforms.   I really think this was something produced on “Spec”, but never used. There are lots of those pieces.