'03 Butt plate trapdoor spring Replacement?

collector

Thanks daskrieg for the reference.

Sarco has several different types. There is a smooth buttplate for 20. And a stippled one there too.

It looks like yours was sandblasted or hit with a wire wheel? No bluing left on the bottom side. With that said is your rifle correct/ corrected? You can go the the CMP forums, milsurps forums or Jouster forums and put a WTB add. A lot of those guys specialize in 03's/ Garands.  

buttplates.jpg

260839057_488007909096081_7425702170585448092_n.jpg

259808106_196363779252460_320045350368279269_n.jpg

That buttplate on my rifle is pretty beat up, it fits the stock perfectly which leads me to believe it's been on there a long time. Can't account for the lack of finish on the

inside.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read this post.  Does the buttplate itself have a matching set of numbers above the cleaning kit trapdoor?  If so, it is  a very early ground down Krag buttplate. The trapdoor should be slightly smaller than the later production model.  The cleaning kit still fits thru the slightly smaller trapdoor  opening  and is really only noticeable when compared to the later "normal" sized trapdoor.  I have one of these on one of my 03's but didn't notice it until I was going to switch to a later checkered model. If you have a copy of Brophy's The 1903 Springfield Rifles it's on page 12. He calls it a model 1901 buttplate used on the pre-production rifles.  I noticed that the top number of yours also is 9, but I don't know the significance of the numbers.  Not many of these around today. I'd hang on to it.

DSCN0125.JPG

DSCN0126.JPG

I checked and see no numbers on the butt plate itself, but that is some interesting info, thanks!

Don't have another later buttplate to check size with either, and sold my Krag a while ago.

So I took the early (Krag) buttplate off to compare it to a later production buttplate. The photos pretty well show the difference in size of the cleaning kit hole and trapdoor. The early hole measures .771" and the later(unknown year, but M-1903) measures .809". I checked a cleaning kit tube that measures .757" at it's largest diameter, so it will fit thru the smaller hole size in the early buttplate. The only other difference I can see is the angle of the opening and trapdoor, which I have no way to accurately measure. The angle of the early one is steeper than the later model. Looking at that photo, it makes the trapdoor appear thicker on the later model but in measuring the thickness they are within .001" of each other, so an optical illusion. Not suprisingly, the early buttplate came on a mixmaster rifle that has a rod bayonet Springfield Armory stock converted for the M-1905 bayonet. The stock cartouche is long gone so I don't know what year it was made.

DSCN1143.JPG

DSCN1145-1.JPG

Measured the hole and it looks like .812 which is likely off a little due to my measuring skills but closer to the '03 size.

Given that I still wonder about the numbers on the trap door since it is not a modified Krag butt plate.

My cleaning tube is .75 too.

IMG_5507.jpg

IMG_5508.jpg

IMG_5510.jpg

I don't have an answer for the numbers. It may be a date, but I don't think so. The style of the 3 makes me think it's an earlier issue, possibly 1908-1912.  Will keep looking. Thanks.

Steve