Unknown Base Security patch: 18th Air Police Squadron?

eagle mtn

eagle mtn

Hi all,

I got this from an acquaintance yesterday and I have no idea what it is. I came with a plain old aircorps and far east airforce patch.  

D2EC443E-05BA-4D1D-9417-1F95D8098C7A.jpeg

I have not seen this before, but possibly related to the 18th Fighter-Bomber Wing Air Police Squadron. They were in Korea from 50-54 before moving to Okinawa. Hopefully this helps.

Randy

eagle mtn

Thank you Randy!

that makes sense to me.  It looks to me it might be theater made as the embroidery is not typical for American made insignia.  Would these be worn on uniforms the same as any unit patch?

Most likely was worn on fatigues. There were no real rules it seemed back then, so it could have been worn on the pocket, above it, or on a shoulder. But I'm just guessing.

Randy

eagle mtn

Thank you for your help.  It certainly is cool, but I can’t imagine very valuable 

Salvage Sailor

That's what I'm thinking too, the crossed MP pistols = Air Police to me.  The USAF switched the name from MP to AP in 1947 or so and the 18th Air Police Squadron was part of the 18th Air Base Group of the 18th Fighter-Bomber Wing.  They were primarily based at Chinhae, South Korea during the Korean War.

Do a 'Control-F' search of this pdf using '18th air police'  The USAF in Korea Campaigns, Units, and Stations 1950–1953

Also of interest is this Draft work, DEFENDERS OF THE FORCE: THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES AIR FORCE SECURITY FORCES 1947 – 2006

It has a history of the MP/AP's including their overseas deployments, and an appendix with photos on period uniforms, weapons & vehicles.

Using the Phillips-head in the photo for scale, I'm guessing 2 1/2" or 3". The 18th FW was at Clark from '48-'50. It looks Philippine-made to me. Perhaps it was for use in an early pocket hanger? YK57

MilitaryPicker1941
On 11/22/2021 at 11:24 AM, yokota57 said:

Using the Phillips-head in the photo for scale, I'm guessing 2 1/2" or 3". The 18th FW was at Clark from '48-'50. It looks Philippine-made to me. Perhaps it was for use in an early pocket hanger? YK57

I was thinking Philippine made as well

I wish I had an acquaintance that would give me a previously unknown Air Police patch that has to be one of the earliest and rarest in the known universe!!! Jackpot for you, and a great find for the USAF collecting community. Thanks for showing it to us. YK57

Yes, I think so. Of course that is only my opinion based on 60 years of USAF/USN/USMC aviation collecting. Others may have a different opinion. YK57