WWII Navy/USMC Presidential Unit Citation Questions?

GMPETE

Can anyone please explain to me the why the PUC was made in two lengths? I am asking about WWII era Navy and USMC 1/2" ribbons.  I believe that the longer version is the actual correct size for the award.  I am wondering if the smaller/regular length version was just because of the standard milled component hardware of ribbon bars...   I have observed that the PUC grosgrain ribbon was applied horizontally as opposed to most/all other awards which were applied vertically which means that the PUC ribbon could have been cut to any length bar whereas the others could only fit a standard one.   Wolf Brown had no metal hardware so the ones I have seen from them are the correct length.

Photo is of two standard length HH Viking Kwikset ribbons, and one correct size Wolf Brown with blue enamel star.

Interested in what anyone knows about this.

IMG-2889.jpg

I would add that I have seen on the web an HH display board pictured below that has the PUC in what appears to be the standard length immediately next to two other awards which are longer so they were capable of longer sizes.

PICT0035.JPG

Sorry for the delay responding.

The top two are 1 3/8".  I don't have the Wolf Brown in hand right now, but it is at least 1 1/2".  

Looking at the HH card again I now believe it also shows the PUC to be slightly longer than the other standard awards shown.

Here is another image off the web (from an old ebay auction I think) of another WB PUC next to a WB Navy Unit Commendation showing the larger size of the PUC.

pucwb.JPG