....US Navy MK-76....

VA-75 Puncher

VA-75 Puncher

......finally,after all these decade-I found a MK-76 practice bomb (the infamous "blue death" as we called it😆) to add to what my wife refers to as my "museum with too much junk"....I call it my "Mini-Manroom"🤣

20191221_141443.jpg

Image31.jpg

Image151.jpg

Blue Death! 😂🤣😂

I never heard that before. I've seen tons of these but rarely with straight fins. I grew up next to an air-to-ground/artillery range. I remember my dad using them as boat anchors.

VA-75 Puncher
6 hours ago, Salvage Sailor said:

Blue Death?  I've heard of that too...   but not with practice bombs

274335445_GulfWarBlueDeathPGYCDesertStorm1991001.jpg.58fbf3d5bd29170953a4e4b5067e1ae9.jpg

Gulf War Blue Death PGYC Desert Storm 1991 002.jpg

....well this was 72-76...and we had bigger blue death ones....and these too,but I couldnt stuff one in my seabag...🤣

Image283adjS.jpg

Are both of those Martin Baker face blinds from the A-6?  The one on the left looks like the one used on the Mk-J5D seat in the Army OV-1 Mohawk.  Earlier Mk-J5 models used a rounder handle like that right one too but the face blind itself looked like the one on the left.

VA-75 Puncher
32 minutes ago, mohawkALSE said:

Are both of those Martin Baker face blinds from the A-6?  The one on the left looks like the one used on the Mk-J5D seat in the Army OV-1 Mohawk.  Earlier Mk-J5 models used a rounder handle like that right one too but the face blind itself looked like the one on the left.

....yes they are-both...the one on the left we used during the 70's (see pic attached with myself in the B/N seat in '76,not the greatest detail but above my head if you can zoom in close,in fact the date stamped on it has a FEB 76 date printed on hood....I can dig up better and closer pics later if desired of hood and period pics I took)....the other on right was later-both "used"...the 2nd was combat flown....I received these from Cdr Hagan of VA-75 during Gulf war(sold off his memorabilia)....he told me he picked it up from debris field in Iraq while investigating after it was over when they went on site...there werent many A-6's shot down then....this is his story,not mine...."they" always say buy the item-not the story,but since he was Cdr in VA-75 I dont have a reason to doubt him...🙂

8adj.jpg

5 minutes ago, VA-75 Puncher said:

....yes they are-both...the one on the left we used during the 70's (see pic attached with myself in the B/N seat in '76,not the greatest detail but above my head if you can zoom in close,in fact the date stamped on it has a FEB 76 date printed on hood....I can dig up better and closer pics later if desired of hood and period pics I took)....the other on right was later-both "used"...the 2nd was combat flown....I received these from Cdr Hagan of VA-75 during Gulf war(sold off his memorabilia)....he told me he picked it up from debris field in Iraq while investigating after it was over when they went on site...there werent many A-6's shot down then....this is his story,not mine...."they" always say buy the item-not the story,but since he was Cdr in VA-75 I dont have a reason to doubt him...🙂

8adj.jpg

Id love to see more detailed pics.  Can see in this pic I took how the Army Mohawk's seat primary handle is very similar.  Wouldn't doubt the handle itself is the same part but Im sure the blind portion is different.   Funny the A-6 went from the V style to the D style,  OV-1 did the opposite.  Also shown is a pic of a Vietnam era face blind from a Mohawk.

RV-1a.jpg

20150711_154733.jpg

VA-75 Puncher
4 minutes ago, mohawkALSE said:

Id love to see more detailed pics.  Can see in this pic I took how the Army Mohawk's seat primary handle is very similar.  Wouldn't doubt the handle itself is the same part but Im sure the blind portion is different.   Funny the A-6 went from the V style to the D style,  OV-1 did the opposite.  Also shown is a pic of a Vietnam era face blind from a Mohawk.

RV-1a.jpg

20150711_154733.jpg

....cool!!!....here....just took these with my cellphone....had to transfer to my computer,for some reason I cant to it from my phone🙄

20211124_195205.jpg

20211124_194559.jpg

20211124_194541.jpg