US Brass Locks With Unknown Acronym

otter42

Bought three US stamped locks at a garage sale yesterday.  The man had been in the Marine Corp, but I can't figure out what SET means. Any ideas 💡? Thought maybe he worked for a government agency like BLM or Forest Service. Are these Government issue locks? Thanks for any thoughts. Ken 

20211114_135314.jpg

20211114_135322.jpg

20211114_140213.jpg

I think Reese in the Mfg, but SET would mean something else. I worked at the power company,  and our locks had the manufacturer,  and then PPL for Pacific Power & Light. So I think this was used for some Govt agency with SET as their acronym.  

General Apathy
17 hours ago, otter42 said:

Bought three US stamped locks at a garage sale yesterday.  The man had been in the Marine Corp, but I can't figure out what SET means. Any ideas 💡? Thought maybe he worked for a government agency like BLM or Forest Service. Are these Government issue locks? Thanks for any thoughts. Ken 

20211114_135314.jpg

20211114_135322.jpg

20211114_140213.jpg

Hi Ken,

thanks for posting this hadn't thought about it before,  you had me looking at the few locks I have, and one of them also has ' SET ' same as yours but a different manufacturer.

I have other locks one with ' OGJ or QGJ ' hard to tell so small, another has ' AVS ' on the bottom and the key number stamped, this one has crossed Cannons on the side surrounded by Ordnance. Department. U.S.A..

.fullsizeoutput_e4ca.jpeg.dbe266c9ccb31f52c1cf1fe53bc93679.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e4c8.jpeg.21a011c16be2d0ac33d51eaca528f7e3.jpeg

regards lewis

Johan Willaert

I believe the SET may indicate the lock came in a 'set' of different locks that all opened with the same key...

Just a hunch

Edit: just now read the above... seems my hunch was right...

At the power company we  had 2 different keyed locks. They looked identical. One was for general use and one for substations. They were stamped A1 or A2, so I never thought of the set idea. Thanks for all your help and comments,  Ken.