M1 helmet I found

BAR44

Yesterday afternoon I was doing some cleaning in my basement and I found an M1 helmet that I had bought from a friend a few years ago in a storage bin. The helmet also has a liner in it and even a leather chinstrap. I really don't know much about this helmet, I was hoping some of you could help me identify the helmet and the liner.

It has a rear seam and a heat stamp on the inside. I am guessing the helmet was manufactured around the Korean War, but I think there could be a possibility that it is late WW2 but I can't tell for sure. The heat stamp might help to identify when the helmet was made

The liner appears to have been manufactured sometime in the 1950s maybe right after the Korean War or it could have even been manufactured during the early Vietnam era.

As far as the leather chinstrap goes I really have no idea when it was made.

1114210040.jpg

1114210039b.jpg

1114210040a.jpg

1114210040b.jpg

1114210040c.jpg

1114210139a.jpg

1114210041a.jpg

1114210042.jpg

1114210048e.jpg

1114210048b.jpg

Rear seam, swivel bail with OD3 chinstraps says the lid is a late war variant. 

The liner is a Korean War produced version with OD7 webbing. 

Nice pick up. 

1 hour ago, elh1311 said:

Rear seam, swivel bail with OD3 chinstraps says the lid is a late war variant. 

The liner is a Korean War produced version with OD7 webbing. 

Nice pick up. 

Thank you. Thats cool that it is a late WW2 helmet I thought that it was a korean war helmet.

I found this chart about WW2 M1 heat stamp dates online. Judging by this chart my helmet appears to be from December 1944 - February 1945

Screenshot_20211114-031932~2.png

8 hours ago, BAR44 said:

Thank you. Thats cool that it is a late WW2 helmet I thought that it was a korean war helmet.

In the configuration you have it in, it can be considered a Korean War helmet and probably used long after that as well. 

1 hour ago, elh1311 said:

In the configuration you have it in, it can be considered a Korean War helmet and probably used long after that as well. 

Yes I would agree. At the start of the Korean War there was still a ton of leftover surplus from WW2 that they used in Korea. I have even heard of some WW2 shells being used in Vietnam.

42 minutes ago, CavalryCombatant said:

I can’t add much, other then that ELH’s exactly right in his analysis.  

A nice helmet!

Thanks! Yes I agree with ELH too, this helmet was made manufactured in late WW2  but it most likely saw service in Korea.

Schlueter will have an "S" underneath the heat stamp, a more sloped crown and round spot welds at the seam as opposed to the oval ones seen on McCords. 

Also, that heat stamp on your helmet is a McCord heat stamp being that high. Schlueter did not get pass 570 or so in their numbering 

If the liner is original to the pot then it’s WW2 manufactured shell but reissued for Korea with a new period liner.

Most collectors I know would call it a Korean War helmet even though part of it was made in WW2.

Many WW2 shell and liners made it to the Vietnam war as well with all manor of configurations.

There are many informative threads detailing how to identify the different set ups so you can figure out when your helmet was used.