Battle of the Hurtgen forest relic

EasyRed1944

As you see , this is a real relic wich had it best time.

It was found in 2007 in a field between Schmidt and Kommerscheidt togeter with a US Bazooka,

It would normally be an 9th inf div , 28th inf div or a 4th inf div Helmet but this we will never know.

A german friend repainted it to prevent from further oxidation.

I cleaned it up a bit and made it look better than it allready was.

005-9.jpg

009-4.jpg

007-6.jpg

008-5.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Could also be from 83rd. The 83rd relieved the 4th division in the Huertgen and had a pretty rough go of it as well. My grandfather was a platoon leader with F/330th Infantry and according to him, the Huertgen was far worse than the Bulge ever was.

Jon

Could also be from 83rd. The 83rd relieved the 4th division in the Huertgen and had a pretty rough go of it as well. My grandfather was a platoon leader with F/330th Infantry and according to him, the Huertgen was far worse than the Bulge ever was.

Jon

Yes the Huertgen was by far one of the most horrorific battles on wo2 with no doubt...when i read stories about it...verry sad.

I went to the schmidt area today of the huertgen forrest, nice places to visit now!

The Germans defended the Huertgen forest area so strongly for two reasons: it served as a staging area for the Ardennes Offensive, thus it became a stalling action as they prepared for the upcoming Battle of the Bulge. The other reason was that the nearby mountains provided access to the Schwammenauel Dam. It's a shame that the Huertgen campaign gets such little discussion among historians but with the Bulge occuring shortly after Huertgen, it get's buried. ermm.gif