The Medals of Brigadier General John William Barker

B24AT6

I recently posted these after a friend pulled them out of the woodwork, and cannot thank everyone enough for their help tracing the campaign medals. I have since added these to my collection and want to fully share General Barker's story. The medals were all found together in a jewelry box in a relative's home and it is my belief that the WWI Victory and Croix de Guerre were also General Barker's.

Much of General Barker's story can be found in his obituary from the Annual Report of the West Point Graduates Association, and I have attached it in full along with the included photo of General Barker. However this does leave out some key events in General Barker's career and testaments to the man and leader he was. Having graduated from West Point in 1894 it may seem odd that General Barker was entitled to wear the Indian Wars Medal; however he was present for one of the last gasps of the Indian Wars, the Battle of Leech Lake in Minnesota during October of 1898 with the 3rd Infantry Regiment during a dispute with a band of Chippewa Indians. Between his graduation in 1894 and retirement in 1922 General Barker enjoyed a long and distinguished career that included Citation Stars for actions in Cuba and the Philippines, a rise to Brigadier General and command of the famous 165th Infantry Regiment in 1918 following years as a neutral observer with the French Army and a position with AEF Headquarters. General Barker was well respected by the men under his command, including the famous Father Duffy who included the following in his book:

"War is a time of sudden changes and violent wrenches of the heart strings; and we are getting a taste of it even before we enter into the period of battles. We are to lose Colonel Barker. Back in Washington they are looking for men who know the war game as it is played over here, and, as Colonel Barker has been observing it, or engaged in it, since the war began, they have ordered him back to report for duty at the War Department.

Our regrets at his going are lessened by two considerations. The first is that we feel he will get his stars by reason of the change and it will make us glad for him and proud of ourselves to see one of our Colonels made a General..."

Capture2.JPG.a9e01ed2946983dd858bdf2699649978.JPG

Capture1.JPG.4012394026e2c833d5ee47b60abc012b.JPG

capture3.JPG.5c188a2e0e000982ff58e15a3e2e546f.JPG

Capture4.JPG.49e795cbd3df0f4ff46592a375a48d7d.JPG

Capture6.JPG.5f9fc9dd89b307ba50416667d70f7565.JPG

Thank you everyone! I have developed a strong interest in identified early medals lately and did not imagine I’d jump in to that pool with a group like this one.

8 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Excellent group.

Imagine being alive during a time when you’ve gone from Indian fighter to trench warfare.

It’s hard to imagine having been witness to such dramatic changes in warfare. For an American, I imagine Barker would have even had a relatively unique insight about how dramatically different things were in WWI. Since he had been present on the Western Front since 1914, he would have been there to see all the changes and advancements as they happened.

While these campaign medals are fantastic and would be a dream acquisition for most any collector, I have to wonder whether the WWI Victory medal is his? The general arrived in France in 1917 and ended up commanding the 165th Infantry Regiment of the 42nd Division AEF. He should have a Victory with at least five bars.  His assignment to Pershing's staff prior to that could have given him more.

Allan

11 hours ago, Allan H. said:

While these campaign medals are fantastic and would be a dream acquisition for most any collector, I have to wonder whether the WWI Victory medal is his? The general arrived in France in 1917 and ended up commanding the 165th Infantry Regiment of the 42nd Division AEF. He should have a Victory with at least five bars.  His assignment to Pershing's staff prior to that could have given him more.

Allan

Allan,

I’m not actually sure what his Victory Medal should have, because as you mentioned he could have been entitled to extra bars while on Pershing’s staff, but he also was brought back to Washington in May 1918 so he wouldn’t be entitled to every bar earned by the 165th. None of his brothers served in WWI and neither he nor them had children in the war. However it easily could have come from some other relative in the last 100yrs so probably will never know for certain whether that was actually the medal issued to him. I feel pretty confident the Crox de Guerre is his, and thankfully all the Campaign medals are traceable!

• 3 weeks later...