WW2 WAVES patch?

UShistorybuff00

UShistorybuff00

I would like some help on confirming if this a authentic patch and if is in fact a Navy WAVES ex-apprentice patch. It’s all I can find online is that info. Any other info would be great. Thanks!

5ADB09D2-DD37-4B94-ABA1-01A5B96FC096.jpeg

007711DE-D6F1-4CFB-9159-9FE786ADDDDD.jpeg

UShistorybuff00

I apologize that this is in the wrong category. Just noticed theirs a section dedicated for uniform patches. Please feel free to relocate it to that section. Thanks

28 minutes ago, UShistorybuff00 said:

Aren’t those wool? And black?  Thanks for the info.  

The Navy Blue wool were for winter uniforms. They had white for the white uniforms. 

1 hour ago, UShistorybuff00 said:

That makes sense. The white uniforms are for the summer?  Around what year were these worn? 50s?

They stopped using these in the early 1970s. This looks very much like those produced in the 1950s-1970s. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 10:25 PM, sigsaye said:

They stopped using these in the early 1970s. This looks very much like those produced in the 1950s-1970s. 

These appear to have 1/4” rather than 1/8” spacing between chevrons, so they would be from after the 10/31/1961 change to the uniform regulations of 1959.

• 2 months later...

USN boot camp "temporary" petty officers wearing "ex-apprentice" rating badge specialty marks, San Diego, 1961. These badges were utilized from around 1917 to around the mid-1970s when the large, temporary, enlisted male uniform change was enacted. Daniel D. Smith 2nd row from top, right end. These reduced size rating badges were issued in both blue (winter) and white (summer) configurations. These rating badges were also utilized by WAVES boot camp companies, at least in the 1950s-60s era.

148_POs_large.jpg

148_POs_rating badge.jpg

15 minutes ago, dpcsdan said:

USN boot camp "temporary" petty officers wearing "ex-apprentice" rating badge specialty marks, San Diego, 1961. These badges were utilized from around 1917 to around the mid-1970s when the large, temporary, enlisted male uniform change was enacted. Daniel D. Smith 2nd row from top, right end. These reduced size rating badges were issued in both blue (winter) and white (summer) configurations. These rating badges were also utilized by WAVES boot camp companies, at least in the 1950s-60s era.

148_POs_large.jpg

148_POs_rating badge.jpg

Interesting side note, at RTC Grest Lakes, they were worn on the Right sleeve. 

The photo is from John Stacey’s book. Also, I was detailed to see on all the RPOs crows. I remember, sewing them on the left sleeve, (my dad was retired Navy, so, crows were worn on the left. Didn’t pay attention to other RPOs from other companies).  So, after doing 50 or 60 million push ups, removing all of them, I re sewing them on the right sleeve. 

AB249660-D897-484E-BE39-C4FBDED56557.jpeg

11 minutes ago, sigsaye said:

The photo is from John Stacey’s book. Also, I was detailed to see on all the RPOs crows. I remember, sewing them on the left sleeve, (my dad was retired Navy, so, crows were worn on the left. Didn’t pay attention to other RPOs from other companies).  So, after doing 50 or 60 million push ups, removing all of them, I re sewing them on the right sleeve. 

AB249660-D897-484E-BE39-C4FBDED56557.jpeg

Nice, Steve. I pointed John to that photo to show the difference between San Diego NTC and Great Lakes NTC usage.