B-3 with "Briney Marlin" painted art

NMWW2A

I had decided this jacket and art were authentic, but after what I learned over the past couple of days regarding a B-15A jacket, I decided to take another look. I have no doubt about the jacket itself (Perry Sportswear, Newburgh, NY) although the waist straps have certainly been replaced. Unfortunately there is a fair amount of leather flaking on the front of the jacket. What I now question is the painted art on the front of the jacket. There is nothing on the back. Briney Marlin (Cockney slang for 'Darlin') was the name of a rather famous B-24 of the 458th BG, not arriving in theater until April, 1944. Looking online at photos of her crew, I see no such art painted on the front of the jacket. I know this is not definitive because 43 different crews flew her before the end of the war, which means she didn't belong to any particular crew. So why would someone claim ownership by painting this on the jacket. On the other hand, someone had to name her. More importantly, I could not find photos of any jacket with the nose art and name painted on the front. Was this ever done or is this another case of it being added after the war by someone who flew her? Also, the style of the pinup fits the WWII era, but zooming in on the face shows it is poorly done. Does this mean anything? Lastly, painted Army Air Forces patch on the left sleeve is significantly more worn than the name and pinup. Does this mean that "Briney Marlin" and the pinup girl were added later? All opinions are much appreciated.

IMG_1853.jpeg

IMG_1854.jpeg

IMG_1856.jpeg

IMG_1857.jpeg

I like this one and have no issues personally with any of it. The AAF rounded on the shoulder is a decal and will age differently than the paint on the front. Again, I like the paint on the front, age, style, etc. and personally think it likely dates from the war. Just my opinion. Good luck. 

Agree with Warguy just based on experience. The shoulder AAF roundel was a decal so often yellows and cracks. That will age differently than other paint. The paint looks very much like the style and wear of a war-painted jacket to me.

Dave

Thanks Warguy and Dave. I appreciate the feedback. Painting the nose art on the front of the jacket wasn't common, but that kind of individuality was obviously acceptable. I'm smarter now than I was a couple of days ago and will be able to apply this to future donations.

Hans

Painting on the front wasn't really all that uncommon, (in the overall scheme of things, as really all painted WWII jackets are not exactly common). Often times a nickname or small vignette much as what is seen on your B-3 is what you might find on the front side. I would say it is more uncommon to find paint on a B-3, than on the front of a jacket in general, although B-3’s were painted. You would benefit for sure by having a copy of Maguire’s books in your library. I would recommend “American Flight Jackets, Airmen and Aircraft” and or “Silver Wings and Leather Jackets”. Lots of eye candy and perusing these books will quickly orient you to the types of artwork you will see on the WWII vintage jackets. Thanks for sharing, this B-3 is a nice one.