B-15A art authenticity

NMWW2A

This B-15A jacket was recently donated to our museum and I would like some help, particularly as it pertains to the patches and art.  In my opinion the Army Air Forces stencil on the left sleeve and the C.B.I. patch on the right are authentic.  Am I wrong on this?  I am perplexed by the imprint/stencil on the back of this jacket.  Was nose art and personalized art such as this stenciled/imprinted on this type of jacket, especially since the Army Air Forces insignia was stenciled? I really have not seen other examples online. I know there was a cottage industry of nose art "shops" which sprung up around our bases but was this technology done at that time, or is this a post war addition? Yet the very theme "tail wind" isn't something I would expect to be added post war.  Your help is appreciated, as are any other observations about the jacket.  As we enter this in to our database, I want to ensure it is accurate. Thank you!

Hans

IMG_1845.jpeg

IMG_1846.jpeg

IMG_1847.jpeg

IMG_1848.jpeg

IMG_1852.jpeg

I’ll get the discussion started. The photos are a bit blurry but based on what I can see, this does appear to be a nice original B-15A jacket by a well known maker. Double check the two pockets above the knit waste to make certain there isn't a tag in there with a different makers name on it….the reproduction market has come a very long way on these, and companies like Buzz Rickson and Eastman Leather make a fine repro with original makers names on the tags in the collar. When well worn, they could be mistaken for an original.  I doubt that is the case here, but worth checking. In my opinion, the AAF logo stenciled on the shoulder looks perfectly fine. The CBI patch appears to be theater made and I like that as well. In answer to your question, yes you can find nose art painted on the back of this style of jacket, although in my experience, it is far more rare than finding it on the leather A2. I can see your hesitation on the paint on the back……it looks a little “too good to be true” to me, both in terms of condition and the style of the art work. Since the total of the missions is represented (21 missions) it tells me that it must have been painted after his flying time was a done. He wouldn’t have worn it like that if there were missions remaining. It might have been commissioned by the original vet for reunions, etc. well after the war. If you are in touch with the family that donated it, you might ask that question. Basically, I doubt the art on the back was done during the war years.  I hope others will chime in! Good luck!

I echo Warguys assessment-  The "21 missions" (and the more risque' art) and condition tells me that it is a later done art.  It should also be 'hand painted' so if you are seeing something that was 'printed' on the back then for sure more commercially done.

I think the Togs label appears authentic but IMO the artwork is totally a tribute job. I don't think the way the woman is painted or the way she is standing is period at all. It is far too bold of a female stance for that era... in general. The lettering appears to be more of a modern font. The artists back then were either very crude with white paint and a large brush or they were really good sign painters, etc. and tried hard to make things even and look good. This has a more modern "randomly organized" look almost like a shadow box. 

Just my opinions but if I saw this at a show I would pass on it without getting too much closer. That's just me.

Without a great story accompanying it(vet commissioned, etc.) I would have a hard time displaying it with other gear that is known to be authentic. 

Dave

There were some glue on pinups that artists used and then painted around with bombs, maps, etc. but those are pretty easy to tell. They have a name that escapes me.

Either way, I have never seen one like, "HEY FELLAS, LOOK AT MY B**BS!" This should be on the side of a Harley tank IMO.

Thanks for the responses so far. I apologize for the blurriness but I must have lost significant resolution getting the pics from Apple Photos to the post.  

I appreciate the comments. No other markings are inside any of the pockets. Unfortunately, the donor doesn't know who owned the jacket (this was one of 3 donated as part of a collection.) I definitely can see and agree with the condition of "too good to be true" There are literally no flaws or noticeable wear, and the busyness of the whole scene is spot on, with flags, bombs, camels, etc. The girl's face is very detailed.  I can feel a different texture of the "painted" areas, but still cannot decide if the back art is painted or printed. Although not the norm, the risqué nature of the pin up girl was used WWII aircraft. The best example is the B-24 named Flak Alley - nothing left to the imagination there. However, after reading comments so far, I too am of the opinion this this art was added later. A lot of points raised which I hadn't thought of. THANK YOU!

6 hours ago, NMWW2A said:

Although not the norm, the risqué nature of the pin up girl was used WWII aircraft. The best example is the B-24 named Flak Alley - nothing left to the imagination there.

I get that, nudes were actually quite common, but the style just isn't of the period IMO. That's it - JMO.

Is that a number on the hangar?

Dave...You are 100% correct. The style is something I didn't even consider until you mentioned it.  I've since compared this pinup girl to others and you are spot on. As were your observations on lettering and "shadow box" effect. I'm grateful for what I've learned from you and others. It will be of great help in evaluating other jackets. One thing which concerned me too was my inability to conclusively determine whether this was painted on or more like an applied screen print. I've gone over every edge with a magnifying glass and where the art crosses a material seam leads me to believe this was painted on, albeit post war. To answer your question about what's on the hangar, it is a name printed in ink. I can't make out the 3rd letter for certain, but the name appears to be Lannzell. 

Thanks...Hans

You might focus on that name.

Another interesting thing is how the bombs were painted. Many of this artwork came about after hostilities but some painted or had jackets painted during service. I spoke to a vet who painted all the jackets on his crew. I asked about how and when he did it and he said he updated the bombs about every 5 missions. I didn't think to analyze his jacket he had or the one other crew member's jacket that he did for evidence of that. Paint might look a little different between groups of bombs depending on the way the artist was feeling each time he updated it - if the art was done that way.

Not that this would be conclusive BUT we can assume most repros are done in one job's time frame.

Dave