Early Utica M-4

jim p

I was out searching some of my favorite shops this weekend and was lucky enough to stumble across this very early M-4. I consider it very early,because it has the 6 groove leather handle,tapered pins that haven't been staked and the unmarked pommel, that I assume was some of the ones made in house by Utica before they started receiving pommels from Standard Products.

The Scabbard is an M8-A1 by Beckwith and is not as early,being marked B/N/3/6. I'm sure it had the double hook belt attachment when new. However,it shows no remnants of the stitching that held it in place,not even holes. But who knows when it was modified and by who?

The whole rig is in good shape,has never been sharpened and still retains most of the parkerization,except for the runners from the in and out of the scabbard.I think there may be a good chance this one saw use during WWII,especially in the pacific,but maybe even as a fighting knife in the ETO. Irregardless for 25 bucks,I'm not complaining.

Jim

post-912-1234492366.jpg

Thanks for the comments! For $25 there was no way I was going to pass it up. Has anyone else come across an early Utica with a totally unmarked pommel and am I correct in thinking that this may have been one they produced themselves?

Jim

Thanks for the comments! For $25 there was no way I was going to pass it up. Has anyone else come across an early Utica with a totally unmarked pommel and am I correct in thinking that this may have been one they produced themselves?

Jim

Could be. Gary talks about it here: http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_33.htm