"OFFICER NAMED WWII 506TH US ARMY PARATROOPER INFANTRY 101ST AIRBORNE WW2 HELMET"

elh1311

Reasonably certain that those chinstraps are repro and correct me if I'm wrong but Firestone did not make paratrooper liners during WWII, especially not Inland-style ones with wite buckles. 

Just to start with. 

I'm afraid someone got taken for a very expensive ride. 

s-l400.jpg

s-l400 (1).jpg

s-l400 (2).jpg

s-l400 (3).jpg

s-l400 (4).jpg

s-l400 (5).jpg

s-l400 (6).jpg

s-l400 (7).jpg

s-l400 (8).jpg

s-l400 (9).jpg

s-l400 (10).jpg

s-l400 (12).jpg

Burning Hazard

The OD3 chinstraps are repros, the badly shaped J hooks are a giveaway. Firestone did not make jump liners during WW2, it’s a 50’s rigger modified liner.

The camo paint on the shell is also questionable. I would stay away from this one.

Pat

1 hour ago, Burning Hazard said:

The OD3 chinstraps are repros, the badly shaped J hooks are a giveaway. Firestone did not make jump liners during WW2, it’s a 50’s rigger modified liner.

The camo paint on the shell is also questionable. I would stay away from this one.

Pat

Someone bought it for $3,800.

This isn't even a rigger modified liner. The a-yokes are under the a-washers, which was only done during WW2 and with the P55 liner. The Korean paratrooper liners, even the factory ones from CAPAC, were in the rigger fashion. 

Also, the name on the sweatband, the supposed former owner, is written in permanent pen. 

This is a straight up repro that someone bought for almost 4k. 

I'm sure the 506th used swivel bales later on, probably at the end and during occupation duties but I don't know for certain. Certainly can't comment on them using camo helmets as I have no idea. 

We might see this helmet again so I figured it was a good idea to leave the pics up. 

CavalryCombatant

I’m shocked somebody would pass out that kind of cash and not even realize the liner is a complete hoax!  I really hope whoever bought it can get their money back.

Now that the auction ended, I was just about to post some auction photos and ask your opinion(s) of this helmet, when I saw OP beat me to this post.  My interest in WWII US helmets has just begun, but that liner sure doesn’t appear to me to be a battle-worn, surplus item.  And the paint on the shell appears to be way too fresh.  Further, I would think that a seller of such a historic relic, would more than likely ship the helmet to a high end auction house rather than sell it on eBay.  Also, I’ve got an original copy of the “Currahee” scrapbook that the 506th PIR put together in Germany in 1945, in it are lots of photos of helmets with and without camo nets, and while the photos are very grainy, I didn’t see any photos of helmets clearly painted in a camo pattern.

Anyone have any idea what a documented 506th PIR helmet in that sort of shape would likely sell for?

17 minutes ago, BryanJ said:

Now that the auction ended, I was just about to post some auction photos and ask your opinion(s) of this helmet, when I saw OP beat me to this post.  My interest in WWII US helmets has just begun, but that liner sure doesn’t appear to me to be a battle-worn, surplus item.  And the paint on the shell appears to be way too fresh.  Further, I would think that a seller of such a historic relic, would more than likely ship the helmet to a high end auction house rather than sell it on eBay.  Also, I’ve got an original copy of the “Currahee” scrapbook that the 506th PIR put together in Germany in 1945, in it are lots of photos of helmets with and without camo nets, and while the photos are very grainy, I didn’t see any photos of helmets clearly painted in a camo pattern.

Anyone have any idea what a documented 506th PIR helmet in that sort of shape would likely sell for?

There was one for sale in Europe that sold for $25,000. To give you an idea. 

But yes, your instincts are spot on. 

16 minutes ago, BryanJ said:

Five times more without spades.

In the description they admit that they don’t know if it’s original but then go on to describe everything that is right about it. 

8 hours ago, Gijoe1987 said:

This was just re-listed on eBay with a new description about the liner in question. 

Seems the buyer researched this forum. At least the seller was honest enough to refund the money. 

Well, if the helmet is like military surplus guns, then it’s value is the sum of its parts, plus whatever value a buyer would place on its story.  Will be interesting to watch how much value is placed on the amended story.

What this shows is the buyer was willing to purchased this specialty item, for nearly $4K, without knowing or maybe even considering proof of anything. It's basic collector info.

In an "information world", real information has lost all meaning and we are starting over in a sea of meaningless words. No wonder phone scammers persist.