George washingtons uniform?

LE LOUP DES MERS

LE LOUP DES MERS

So I was watching pawn stars and Rick Harrison had a chance to buy what the seller claims is George Washingtons uniform. My question is, knowing how fake reality tv can be was this uniform really George washingtons or was this whole thing staged to just get views? The seller wanted $3,000,000 and if it was real I feel like it would have been worth more then that. I will post the link to the YouTube video and post a photo showing Washingtons uniform. This could also go in the uniform section so feel free to move this to a different topic if need be. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DcebDq18OqMc&ved=2ahUKEwiJ3LK7gv3zAhW9HjQIHdeyBRMQwqsBegQIBRAF&usg=AOvVaw08orp54adZ1o0cRZTlmDpp 

maxresdefault.jpg

Rick would look a lot better in a suite with a tie.

He looks like a homeless person.

In 1986 i bought one of Anwar Sadat’s uniforms and when I was invited to look at it I was dressed to the nines out of respect.

This one is a REAL head scratcher for me. I had the opportunity to meet Rick Harrison a few years ago. I am 6'3" and felt like I was about four inches taller than him. If we assume that Rick is six ft tall, he would be two inches shorter than George Washington, who is listed at 6'2" on a number of presidential websites. Of course the mannequin that the uniform is fitted to would make me think that the wearer was quite a bit shorter than Harrison when comparing the two. When you draw a line to the top of the Washington uniform, I would guess that it is at least four inches shorter than Harrison. They seem to be at an equal distance from the camera. This would lead me to the conclusion that the uniform was made for a man that stood no taller than 5' 10" and probably closer to 5' 8" in height. 

I guess it should be up to the buyer to determine whether the $3,000,000 price tag is worth it.

Allan

LE LOUP DES MERS
22 minutes ago, Allan H. said:

This one is a REAL head scratcher for me. I had the opportunity to meet Rick Harrison a few years ago. I am 6'3" and felt like I was about four inches taller than him. If we assume that Rick is six ft tall, he would be two inches shorter than George Washington, who is listed at 6'2" on a number of presidential websites. Of course the mannequin that the uniform is fitted to would make me think that the wearer was quite a bit shorter than Harrison when comparing the two. When you draw a line to the top of the Washington uniform, I would guess that it is at least four inches shorter than Harrison. They seem to be at an equal distance from the camera. This would lead me to the conclusion that the uniform was made for a man that stood no taller than 5' 10" and probably closer to 5' 8" in height. 

I guess it should be up to the buyer to determine whether the $3,000,000 price tag is worth it.

Allan

Same here, I have no idea if this uniform is real or fake but like you said the uniform does not look like it would fit a man 6ft tall. However, people were a lot smaller back then, it's definitely a head scratcher that's for sure. 

BILL THE PATCH

Could the measurements of Washington be a little enhanced maybe,? Everyone was small in those days even if Washington was 6' feet he would still loom over alot if people. They could have fudged the height a little to give the appearance of a big man. Just a thought

in my opinion,that uniform would have never fit washington. i thought that when i first saw the episode..................dave

Looks more too me like 5'6" look at the arm length of the frock...short & small. All those shows as well as American Pickers are staged. Usually something that some one wants too sell and there more than happy to put it on TV. Its still interesting but take it with a grain of salt. 

Just playing Devil's advocate here.

Not sure we know with certainty when Washington reached his 6'2" height, but the clothing styles did not change for much of the 18th C. Could this have been a clothing ensemble he wore when he was 17 or 18? Is this even a uniform? From what country? Would he have been a "red coat" in the Fr & Indian War in 1753? He is usually depicted wearing a blue or dark uniform coat during the American Revolutionary War.

Not sure I buy the story in any case. Provenance, provenance.       

eaglerunner88
On 11/4/2021 at 11:55 AM, tredhed2 said:

Just playing Devil's advocate here.

Not sure we know with certainty when Washington reached his 6'2" height, but the clothing styles did not change for much of the 18th C. Could this have been a clothing ensemble he wore when he was 17 or 18? Is this even a uniform? From what country? Would he have been a "red coat" in the Fr & Indian War in 1753? He is usually depicted wearing a blue or dark uniform coat during the American Revolutionary War.

Not sure I buy the story in any case. Provenance, provenance.       

Very good points. I'm not up on my 18th century attire but to me this looks less of a uniform and more like formal dinner wear or something.