Helmet with 511th PIR tac mark on eBay sold for $908

elh1311

Am I missing something here? Don't get me wrong, it's a cool lid and 511th PIR marked helmets aren't exactly a dime a dozen. Just having a hard time seeing one of these go for almost a thousand dollars and it doesn't have an M1-C liner. 

Well, if you're here and you bought then congrats. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-US-M1-HELMET-LINER-Named-LT-307th-insignias-decals-paint-/353743602233?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Maybe. It's very reminiscent of the 511th tac mark (pic courtesy of Mike Dorango's collection) and they used red briefly while they were in Fort Campbell and prior to going to Germany for Gyroscope in 1956 or so. 

Either way....is it worth $908?

post-46900-1331548975.jpg

CavalryCombatant

Interesting that the liner appears to have 77th ID markings

No comment on the price as I’ve go no idea what these go for.

9 minutes ago, CavalryCombatant said:

Interesting that the liner appears to have 77th ID markings

No comment on the price as I’ve go no idea what these go for.

Now that I think about it, a complete late-WW2 M1-C with a decent and original Westinghouse liner can easily go for a grand. Saw one recently go for that, which was a little eyebrow raising. 

Yeah the liner and helmet have probably only recently been paired. 

CavalryCombatant
1 hour ago, elh1311 said:

Now that I think about it, a complete late-WW2 M1-C with a decent and original Westinghouse liner can easily go for a grand. Saw one recently go for that, which was a little eyebrow raising. 

Yeah the liner and helmet have probably only recently been paired. 

You might be right, I do recall seeing them for that price.  Kind of wild…

Does look like a decent helmet & liner though, if someone pairs it with a nice westy it’ll look real nice. 

Guilty as charged, i was all over it like a hobo on a ham samich😂....did i want to spend that much?..heck no but got caught up in a bidding war and i really had to have it, i wish i got it for 400-600 but sometimes you gotta go for it....very unique with the red tac marks, first one ive seen like that for the 511th, i have seen them in red for other units and have seen a mint green paint used as well...i really love this one and was very very happy to ad it to my collection even if i had to pay up for it, likes been said the liner was probably thrown in somewhere in its journey so i will make sure of that and will ad a nice para liner for display and resell the infantry liner to recoup some of my money, i will

post some pics of the new addition soon👍🏻....mike

Airborne-Hunter

I don't think $900 was bad at all. A real marked WW2 helmet is already in the stratosphere. Korean and Vietnam War marked lids are also expensive. But this assumes one could find a real one. This is an honest example. 

• 1 month later...
USdecals283838

hello I am new to this but does anybody know this decal someone said it’s the Massachusetts OCS but I don’t know I want another opinion yours truly ben

49E58D5E-201F-42F7-9A68-FF793CCDC5F4.jpeg

71A9580D-4EE9-4B1E-A812-507043147266.jpeg