Saving Private Ryan Matt Damon Helmet auction at Prop Store

Adrian6256

On 11/11/2021 at 12:42 PM, Allan H. said:

The helmet is totally a military helmet. The shell is steel and it has a real liner with the A yokes added. 

Allan

So awesome! A wonderful piece to have in any collection. Thank you for answering my question. 

Adrian 

General Apathy
4 hours ago, Adrian6256 said:

Thank you for answering my questions with such detail. I read someplace that these helmets associated with the movie are stamped SPR or ACAD. Do you remember this to be true? or are this something that fakers had done at some point. Thank you again. 

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

yes the plastic helmets had ACAD stamped in them and the field jackets ( M-41's ) had SPR stamped in them. 

I haven't shown these stamps which hopefully prevents exact replica stamps being made. 

In 2018 I sold off a lot of the Private Ryan props and in 2019 I sold my Band of Brothers props. Here's the Buck Compton suit I sold.

( each of the lead actors would have 3 / 5 sets of clothing in case of loss or damage as in the case of the Dick Winters jacket I had with a torn left sleeve and so it was discarded for further filming ). 

The Buck Compton suit still had two pages of prompt sheets between Compton and Winters, there was also several split packets powdered milk in one of the pockets, and the suit had padded shoulders 

.fullsizeoutput_e51f.jpeg.45e57fc0db8fbc88739ea55ec378886c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e51d.jpeg.0bf75e050ef42307acc9ddab5c08f0e2.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e51e.jpeg.3f948a379067f96f33e93c0169ca0cd0.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e51a.jpeg.fad5d372ad5ccce9d459e33b8cea18db.jpeg

regards lewis.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 5:20 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Adrian,

yes the plastic helmets had ACAD stamped in them and the field jackets ( M-41's ) had SPR stamped in them. 

I haven't shown these stamps which hopefully prevents exact replica stamps being made. 

In 2018 I sold off a lot of the Private Ryan props and in 2019 I sold my Band of Brothers props. Here's the Buck Compton suit I sold.

( each of the lead actors would have 3 / 5 sets of clothing in case of loss or damage as in the case of the Dick Winters jacket I had with a torn left sleeve and so it was discarded for further filming ). 

The Buck Compton suit still had two pages of prompt sheets between Compton and Winters, there was also several split packets powdered milk in one of the pockets, and the suit had padded shoulders 

regards lewis.

I love how customized these jackets are. Thank you for sharing your wealth of information. I’ve often wondered about these beautiful helmets props and wardrobe. There isn’t much info that I could find online about these props. Thank you again for answering my questions on the subject.

best wishes 

Adrian 

General Apathy
On 11/29/2021 at 7:28 PM, Adrian6256 said:

I love how customized these jackets are. Thank you for sharing your wealth of information. I’ve often wondered about these beautiful helmets props and wardrobe. There isn’t much info that I could find online about these props. Thank you again for answering my questions on the subject.

best wishes 

Adrian 

Hello Adrian,

One of several publicity shots I have for ' Saving Private Ryan ' , during filming the film was often referred to as ' Shaving Ryan's Privates ' amongst cast and crew, but we all had great fun and camaraderie working on it.

.fullsizeoutput_ec1c.jpeg.219c3400fda4887b7de4553dd7597d17.jpeg  

regards lewis.

General Apathy
On 11/29/2021 at 7:28 PM, Adrian6256 said:

best wishes 

Adrian 

Hello Adrian.

Two of the rubber pieces, again used by stunt crews and some of the extra's over the rear of the shots, I also have a resin German machine gun that I will try and take a shot of later and add here shortly .

.fullsizeoutput_ebd7.jpeg.20feb83f1b015edb1ccb18f5ed4ae2dc.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_ebe7.jpeg.18da540d895a6c5e1d3eb915e5d14c4a.jpeg

Regards Lewis.

Amazing items guys, thanks for sharing! I've always wanted a Band of Brothers prop, but came too late to the game apparently. 

General Apathy
12 hours ago, jmd62 said:

Amazing items guys, thanks for sharing! I've always wanted a Band of Brothers prop, but came too late to the game apparently. 

Hi JMD,

thank you for the ' like ' you added to one of my posts above. 

here's a shot of the ' rubber / resin ' concentration camp corpses at the Band of Brothers studios. It was very thought provoking seeing human remains stacked up like this, even though I knew it was make-believe.  Top left corner are the unpainted bodies. 

.fullsizeoutput_ec5d.jpeg.e904cd7d6ba07776feb57756415ba58e.jpeg

regards lewis.

General Apathy
2 hours ago, jmd62 said:

Wow, that's quite an image. It's amazing how well they produced these props. Thanks for sharing!

pretty much everything used in the film was agonised over to have it right or make it look right.

Here's a German STUG used on Band of Brothers made by a friend in the vehicle department from two ex-British army tracked troop carriers, a demanding job.  The ex-army tracked carrier only has five track bogies and the STUG has six so he had to cut and join the chassis from two of the carriers to achieve six bogies, then add all the top steel for the look of a STUG.  ( we both now live in France about twenty minutes apart )

He was also instrumental in building the Tigers for Saving Private Ryan, from ex-Russian tanks.  

.fullsizeoutput_ec73.jpeg.1e314404853c9e234f97950361bcd095.jpeg 

.fullsizeoutput_ec6e.jpeg.934b927955e413082998980cbc2624cc.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 02  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy

Another original WWII item supplied to Saving Private Ryan . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_ecdc.jpeg.550c4f0a9f54d75cf811b8ef8f8bbb8d.jpeg 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 03  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

On 12/3/2021 at 12:42 AM, General Apathy said:

Another original WWII item supplied to Saving Private Ryan . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_ecdc.jpeg.550c4f0a9f54d75cf811b8ef8f8bbb8d.jpeg 

Is that the piece of gum hanks used?? A very interesting item in a very impressive collection.

Adrian

General Apathy
On 12/6/2021 at 7:07 PM, Adrian6256 said:

Is that the piece of gum hanks used?? A very interesting item in a very impressive collection.

Adrian

On 12/6/2021 at 7:07 PM, Adrian6256 said:

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

straight from the horses mouth, so to speak, it was attached to the mirror at the end of the shot and there's still a residue of gum on the mirror.

Here's the damaged ' Winters ' jacket which had a tear in the upper arm below the 101st patch. I sold this in my 2019 auction, it has my auction description label explaining the torn sleeve. . ( I must have a better image somewhere )

.fullsizeoutput_eecf.jpeg.41957b9f9422a617c80582df9dc46281.jpeg

regards lewis.

General Apathy

Easy Company Entering Carentan Then & Now Locations . . . . . . . 

These two shots show the film-set ( UK studios ) version of Easy Company entering Carentan and the reality of the real location taken 2003.  When they got to the bottom of this route they went left into the town centre where Winters was then wounded in the leg. Note the studio cafe' had an extra floor added to it making it a more impressive building. 

.fullsizeoutput_eeda.jpeg.25125ad812d8fd32a50d45c4184abab1.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_eee4.jpeg.6cbbb3df59874e3656714b7bd5a84cf9.jpeg

regards lewis.

General Apathy
On 12/8/2021 at 10:28 PM, jmd62 said:

Winter's jacket?! That's very impressive, thanks for sharing. : )

Hi Jmd.

Here's my daughter in the wardrobe department in the US section, somewhere I have another shot of her in the German section in front of all the camouflage uniforms.  My daughter had a great time visiting studios with me. 

Another time at school on a Monday morning the teacher asked the class what they had done over the weekend, when it came to my daughter she normally recited some exciting weekend events, this time her reply was dad took me to see the B-52's, the teacher nearly flipped out and said that it might not really have been the right place for a father to take his young daughter to a B-52 concert.  The teacher almost flipped for a second time when my daughter explained that it wasn't  a rock-band but American B-52 bombers taking off from Upper Hayford for a bombing mission over Iraq, again I think she was totally underwhelmed that I should have taken my daughter to see these. 

.fullsizeoutput_ef3c.jpeg.006da077ae07f5527a0a740311558066.jpeg

.the-b-52_s_002-749x1024.jpg.e3c70924515eba93534edb7344b2489f.jpg

regards Lewis.

General Apathy
On 11/2/2021 at 4:45 PM, Adrian6256 said:

Hey guys, Just thought this was cool and wanted to share. Prop store is selling a few SPR props, but the Private Ryan Helmet stood out to me. My question is are there any collectors on this forum that have other helmets from this film? Are there any known consistencies in the way these were produced for the film? A neat piece for sure in any case. All of the following photos are from the prop store website. 

https://propstoreauction.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/299/lot/80490/?url=%2Fm%2Fsearch%2F%3Fkey%3DMatt%20damon

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 10.27.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 10.27.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 10.28.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 10.27.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 10.28.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 10.28.54 AM.png

Hi Adrian,

My apologies for barnstorming your original post just asking for details about Saving Private Ryan helmets.

regards lewis

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Adrian,

My apologies for barnstorming your original post just asking for details about Saving Private Ryan helmets.

regards lewis

No not at all. Your insight and firsthand knowledge is unmatched. Feel free to post as many photos and props as you would like to. I have really enjoyed this very much. 

Adrian 

General Apathy
20 hours ago, Adrian6256 said:

No not at all. Your insight and firsthand knowledge is unmatched. Feel free to post as many photos and props as you would like to. I have really enjoyed this very much. 

Adrian 

Hi Adrian, Justin, jmd.

Thanks for taking interest in the clothing, equipment and photos from these two films.

If you want an original M36 musette pack then any marked ' Hausmann Mfg. 1942 ' are reproductions, however if you want a musette from the productions then look for a ' Hausmann Mfg. 1942 ' example . . . . . . . . . . . .

They were not all marked with the Band of Brothers studio stamps. 

.fullsizeoutput_f188.jpeg.7c3688b9bd75aa472d91812cf9c01286.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f189.jpeg.170c52ed7730e0a2b047f5e607d950f6.jpeg

regards lewis.

General Apathy

Hi Adrian, Justin, Jed, Mikie

I mentioned that I had a shot of my daughter in the German section of the clothing department, here it is, she was amazed at the large hole oil the helmet. 

.fullsizeoutput_f214.jpeg.0fa58384b9862603fa10e27627530fb4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_ef3c.jpeg.78fc3e66756e939e6f5f7e65113a4ec7.jpeg

regards lewis.

21 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

I mentioned that I had a shot of my daughter in the German section of the clothing department, here it is, she was amazed at the large hole oil the helmet. 

.fullsizeoutput_f214.jpeg.0fa58384b9862603fa10e27627530fb4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_ef3c.jpeg.78fc3e66756e939e6f5f7e65113a4ec7.jpeg

regards lewis.

Great photos of Lauren!  I remember the second photo, but I don't recall seeing the top one before.  Her expression is priceless!

Mikie  

16 hours ago, General Apathy said:

regards lewis.

I imagine these are great memories for your daughter. It's crazy to think of how many uniforms has to be amassed for such a big production.

On 12/13/2021 at 12:16 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Adrian,

regards lewis

Lewis, 

You mentioned 5 sets of uniforms for the principle actors in BOB, but do you recall how many sets of uniforms the lead actors in SPR had? Maybe Tom Hanks as an example? How many helmets would have been made for him? How many uniforms? Im curious because you see his props become available from time to time, and I want to know just how common his uniform pieces actually are. Another question I have is about how many Brooklyn New York (Edward Burns) M41 jackets were produced for production. It seems I run into a different guy at every militaria show who know a guy who owns it. 🤣   Lewis, thank you again for peaking my curiosity. 

Adrian