Littoral Combat Ship

mikie

This weekend, I attended our niece's wedding in San Diego, California.  The trip was too short for me to take in anything historic or military.  But then instead of me going to something military, something military came to me.  The wedding ceremony was outdoors right on the shore with a wonderful view of a channel of San Diego harbor in the immediate background.  There were picturesque sailboats and yachts sailing past. Quite nice. Just as the ceremony was about to start, we were all asked to put away our phones and cameras.  Two minutes later, just as the vows were beginning, a Littoral Combat Ship hove into view.  I was dying to take out my phone and take a picture, but there was no way to do it discreetly. Being a good uncle, I resisted, but it was tough. The thing was so close to shore that it pretty much looked like this picture I grabbed off the web.  The LCS class has been quite controversial, but it was REALLY impressive to see it so up close while underway.  Good ships or bad, I don't know. But God Bless all those who sail on them. Anyone here serve on one of these ships?  Any opinions on them?  I've read a few articles since and they seem to be victims of the usual mission creep and resulting cost overruns, combat effectiveness, etc.  

Mikie

Littoral Combat Ship.jpg