Wooden Ammo Box--Possibly for a Single Lewis MG Drum

Taber10

A friend acquired this box at the recent Big Sandy MG Shoot, and was told it was to contain a single Lewis drum.  Can anyone identify it/confirm this identity?

Thanks in advance,

Taber

Wooden Ammo Box Pic 2 Possibly Lewis Gun single Drum Oct 2021.jpg

Wooden Ammo Box Possibly for single Lewis Gun Drum Oct 2021.jpg

I've never seen a single carrier?  Some better pics of the hardware may help?  It's possibly from another country as well?  The hardware style can often help identify a country of origin.

• 2 months later...

I now have this wood box in hand, and have taken more pictures.  Shown with a Lewis magazine, however, just for scale.  The internal pads on the bottom and both sides would "fit" a Lewis drum, and there is a round "wear pattern" on one internal side of the box.  There are NO markings that I can find, which would lead me to believe that it is not US.  Any help or suggestions are welcome!

Unknown Wood Box Pic 1 from Jan 22.jpg

Unknown Box 2 from Jan 22.jpg

Unknown Box 3 from Jan 22.jpg

Unknown Box 4 from Jan 22.jpg

Unknown Box 5 from Jan 22.jpg

Unknown Wood Box Pic 6 from Jan 2022.jpg

Unknown Wood Box Pic 7 from Jan 2022.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'd agree it's not US.  Doesn't look like any British hardware I've seen either?   Maybe Russian?  I'm not familiar with what style of hardware/ construction they may have used?  I did look thru my Lewis reference books and did not see anything, but of course that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that there's no reference to it?   I did see one photo in the Belgian Rattlesnake book that shows a grainy photo of a guy kneeling on a similar size box on p389 of Japanese soldiers  setup with a lewis, but it's not good enough to tell anything definitive for me?   Sorry I can't be of more help?   Good mystery!