M1 helmet with Navy anchors?

VA-75 Puncher

VA-75 Puncher

..newbie here,so please excuse ignorance,and I looked thru past posts but saw nothing on this...aquired a decent M1 helmet...rear seam... the strap hardware has what appear to be Navy anchor symbol...my google-fu attempts have not helped finding info(this is how I stumbled across this site)....can anyone enlighten me with any info?...much appreciated...pics attached...

20211026_202621.jpg

20211026_202559.jpg

20211026_202751.jpg

20211026_202639.jpg

CavalryCombatant

Good question!  

The anchor marked chinstraps indicate they were manufactured by North and Judd IIRC.  Good indicator of a Vietnam war helmet.

The shell is manufactured by ingersol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2021 at 9:26 PM, CavalryCombatant said:

Good question!  

The anchor marked chinstraps indicate they were manufactured by North and Judd IIRC.  Good indicator of a Vietnam war helmet.

The shell is manufactured by ingersol.

Not quite the Anchor mark was also on Korean war helmet chin straps as well.

4 minutes ago, Mikeym_us said:

The "Korean war" shells you mention, low dome rear seam McCords (and also Moter Wheel) with OD T1 hardware clamps do not have the anchor logo. They are unmarked with the exception of a "UC" stamp on the quick release ball.

The anchor logo is found on all manufactured Ingersoll shells made from 1965 - 1968. 

CavalryCombatant
14 minutes ago, Mikeym_us said:

I haven’t seen an anchor mark on any of the Korean War helmets I’ve ever came across- so long as you’re referring to the 1951 run of Mccord helmets.

Here’s the chinstrap on a KW helmet I’ve got sitting on my shelf, notice no anchor marks.

FCEA335B-82D9-475E-8D20-5FCFF325B021.jpeg

10 minutes ago, CavalryCombatant said:

I haven’t seen an anchor mark on any of the Korean War helmets I’ve ever came across- so long as you’re referring to the 1951 run of Mccord helmets.

Here’s the chinstrap on a KW helmet I’ve got sitting on my shelf, notice no anchor marks.

FCEA335B-82D9-475E-8D20-5FCFF325B021.jpeg

There were other manufacturers remember not all M1's had the Anchor. And I have a few other Vietnam era equipment pieces with the Anchor mark that weren't from the company you mentioned.

CavalryCombatant
2 minutes ago, Mikeym_us said:

There were other manufacturers remember not all M1's had the Anchor. And I have a few other Vietnam era equipment pieces with the Anchor mark that weren't from the company you mentioned.

Mccord didn’t make the chinstraps, they were subcontracted to a company by the name of North and Judd, as stated above.

18 minutes ago, Justin said:

The "Korean war" shells you mention, low dome rear seam McCords (and also Moter Wheel) with OD T1 hardware clamps do not have the anchor logo. They are unmarked with the exception of a "UC" stamp on the quick release ball.

The anchor logo is found on all manufactured Ingersoll shells made from 1965 - 1968. 

Problem is I have M1956 web equipment with the anchor stamp on the metal pieces and a Vietnam era USGI web sling with the same marking. So they all couldn't have come from North and Judd.

2 minutes ago, Mikeym_us said:

Problem is I have M1956 web equipment with the anchor stamp on the metal pieces and a Vietnam era USGI web sling with the same marking. So they all couldn't have come from North and Judd.

The anchor logo is the company trade stamp. They were a manufacturer of hardware, not just helmet chinstraps. 

CavalryCombatant
5 minutes ago, Mikeym_us said:

Actually, they more then likely did!  Interestingly enough, North and Judd just made the metal fittings that go onto the chinstraps, slings, and whatever else.  

They made hardware, it’s what they did.  

Several companies subcontracted them to make hardware, it keeps costs down and keeps the system moving quicker.

2 minutes ago, CavalryCombatant said:

Mccord didn’t make the chinstraps, they were subcontracted to a company by the name of North and Judd, as stated above.

Equipment from Pioneer Canvas also had the anchor stamp on them too. So there might actually be another reason for the Anchor stamp. and not a single manufacturers mark.