Bailey, Banks & Biddle BB&B - Silver Star #398 - Name Removed

dc9

Hello All,

Came across this early numbered BB&B Silver Star 398, but, unfortunately either the recipient removed his name or one of the subsequent caretakers.  Curious if anyone might have a matching document or roll list that can identify the original recipient.

Thanks,

Eric

1 hour ago, USMCR79 said:

I think this was discussed in an earlier thread

Hmmm.  I did a search before I posted, but, couldn't find anything.  If you can point me in the direction, would like to see if they had any success identifying the recipient.

Thanks!

On 10/26/2021 at 5:17 PM, dhcoleterracina said:

Sad to see but we've seen it before. Is there anything of the name? 

Unfortunately, nothing I could decipher under magnification.

1 minute ago, USMCR79 said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/646058682142877/posts/4050042071744504

This was where I saw it before

Bill

Mark D Dutton

There is some kind of acid that can reveal the engraving. It is used on guns that have had the numbers ground off. Not sure who you would ask about it though. It shows the stress in the metal if IRC.

· 

· 23w

Philip Davies

Not 'un-named' - name removed.

· 

· 23w

Pat Testa

Admin

At least it’s traceable by the number. When the National Archive opens, you should order the award card. 

· 

· 23w

Active

Jacob Sweazy

Admin

Pat Testa Archives opening, “insert Jeopardy theme song here” 

Hopefully its soon

· 

· 23w

· 

Edited

Earl Osborn

It will be interesting to see who it belongs to.

· 

· 23w

Active

Bill Brouillard

Unfortunately there is not a number roll for the 1932 issue of Silver Stars or Purple Hearts - I had SS # 42 that was same condition - I chased it for years and finally sold it

· 

· 18w

Jim Taylor

The acid on guns works as the numbers are stamped into the medal not engraved. The engraving is only on the surface. I think That Bills comment is correct I will sell the star. 

· 

· 18w

Looks like someone in the chat above mentioned this, but the acid-etch approach works - in certain situations - with stamped metal.  

Engraving, as a means of marking metal, is “stock removal”, which results in a very different material physical experience.  

The pressure realized by stamping causes differential density / disruption of the surrounding material, which in turn, causes it to interact with acid - like FeCl3 - differently.

On 10/28/2021 at 9:03 AM, USMCR79 said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/646058682142877/posts/4050042071744504

This was where I saw it before

Bill

Bill,

Thank you for the follow-through.  It looks you posted the dialogue - I'll find someone local with a FB account and review the thread (I don't do social media).  The SS is not in my collection, because the seller was asking too much in my opinion; given the condition ($275).  I do plan to stay on top of this and hope to identify the recipient at some point.

Regards,

E

dhcoleterracina

I guess the question is... is the value as it sits that of an un-named or "type" Silver Star?  Does the fact that it was awarded (though unknown) increase the value? Or does the removal lower the value below an un-named type? I'm sure there would be opinions on either side. 

Since I'm asking questions, do SS award cards line up with the medal number?  Purple Hearts go off every time they issued a MSSC until it becomes impossible to ID based on the number alone.  If someone has a low numbered SS and the award card, could you let us know if they match? 

dhcoleterracina

I just did a little search on Silver Stars. I found a medal numbered #1140 and the card was #1146. Just six off.  

A Silver Star numbered 398 will probably be really close or even right on IF a number search on award cards are possible. 

On 10/30/2021 at 6:42 PM, dhcoleterracina said:

I just did a little search on Silver Stars. I found a medal numbered #1140 and the card was #1146. Just six off.  

A Silver Star numbered 398 will probably be really close or even right on IF a number search on award cards are possible. 

Thanks, DH for the test case confirmation.  

On 10/30/2021 at 6:16 PM, USMCR79 said:

If it was me I would just walk away from this and save my money for something better

Bill

Bill, I agree.  I just hate to see history lost...we can't save everything.  Thanks.