Victrola Rehab

sgtbrown

I have a government issue wind-up victrola that is in dire need of a lube, oil and filter plus some work on the spring mechanism. Anybody know of anyone that works on old wind-ups?

Tom thumbsup.gif

Be careful not to mess with the spring it is wound very tight and can cause some serous injuries if handled wrong. If there are some old record shows in your area you could go to one and am sure you can find a person to service it or check with some antique shops in your area to see if they have a contact with someone who works on them. I have a small collection of old victrolas and find them very enjoyable. What area do you live?

I'm in NE Ohio.

A few years back I obtained info on a fellow who did this kind of work. He was also out-of-state and I have since lost the information. The player is one of those "out of sight - out of mind" items.

Tom thumbsup.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, those springs can be a whirling, spinning, death blade! My brother got ahold of the guts of a Victrola and started messing with the spring. Well, it unwound (very rapidly) and sliced the heck out of his fingers and arms. Being the little brother, I thought this was funny!

Seriously, I think the folks that do work on them have some sort of a jig almost like a strut compressor to keep the spring from unwinding.

I'm in NE Ohio.

A few years back I obtained info on a fellow who did this kind of work. He was also out-of-state and I have since lost the information. The player is one of those "out of sight - out of mind" items.

Tom thumbsup.gif

There is a guy in Milan , OH by the name of Don Gaffel (spelling on last name a guess) he owns a antique store there and specializes in phonographs. He will take care of you. But by all means donot try and mess with the spring yourself.