Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal- Order of Wear

Jimnz

Hello

I have a question about this medal.... I was looking at some pictures of Directors of the National Guard  ( who presumably received the ARCAM as Colonels and below) on Wikipedia from the late 1970s and 1980s and they wear it directly after the Armed Forces Reserve Medal not after the GC medals as now. From the early 1990s it seems to be worn as today. I hadn't seen that before . Can anyone say if this was official or worn this way in error?

Thanks

Jim

It could have been worn in error by confusing it with the Army Reserve Components Overseas Training Ribbon, which is worn after the Armed Forces Reserve Medal. 

You could be right . But it seems strange that for about a ten year period c1978-c 1991 three Directors of the Army National Guard  (MG Emmett Walker, Herbert R Temple Jr and Donald Burdick) all wore the ARCAM  after the AFRM ( in Burdick's case after his NDSM and before AFRM)..surely (haha) they must have known the correct order of wear.

I like obscure stuff like this.

All the best

Jim

The order of precedence changed on the ARCAM at least a couple of times in the 1980's IIRC. At one time, it ranked below the Armed Forces Reserve Medal (AFRM) because the ARCAM was awarded after four years of service and the AFRM was awarded for ten. At some point, the decision was made that since it was listed as an "Achievement" medal, that it should rank behind the Army Achievement medal and since the AFRM was a servicer medal, it would rank behind campaign medals. After Desert Storm, the AFRM was issued to reservists for mobilization as well as longevity.

Allan 

Thanks for that...It explains it. I haven't got a detailed list of the Order of wear from the 1970s and was working off 1990s onwards lists and just assumed it always was worn with the GC medals.