M-1910 Pack Belt Hooks??

GWS

Came across this M-1910 Pack in the bottom of a tote I haven't opened in a long while. After reviewing the posts in the REF. section here, I conclude that it is an early version by the pack tail attachment and early circular mess kit pouch. No mfg. name or date can be found, just 1 set of inspector's initials. What I'm wondering about are the 3 pack to belt attachment hooks. They are a twisted wire rather than the normally seen square  solid loop type hooks.  They appear to be the same as those used on M-1907 and later suspenders of the period. The packs shown in the reference section all have the solid loop style hooks, not the twisted wire type. Anyone have an idea as to when this type hook was used on these packs?

DSCN1022-1.JPG

DSCN1027 (1)2.JPG

DSCN1027.JPG

DSCN1025 (1).JPG

DSCN1031.JPG

US Victory Museum

M1910 1st type haversack c. 1911-early 1914 made by Rock Island Arsenal.   Most of the time the MFG stamp is applied to the reverse between the

shoulder straps; however, occasionally that stamp in found on the inside in the same location.  Open the pack and look at where the shoulder straps

are sewn through the canvas. 

The various color tints and staining indicate that this pack was assembled from parts, which is fine.   Equipment could be damaged and parts were

replaced as needed, or it was assembled by a collector which is also fine.  

A quick and easy way to identify who made which parts is by the stencil(s) and buttons.   An external pouch for eating utensils made by Mills would

have an eagle snap; those made by RIA would have a plain disk button as found on your pack.   The stencils used by RIA have solid letter "US".

Mills utilized a broken letter font. (See attached images)

Because there is a radius where the shoulder straps are sewn to the pack, I'm going to assert that this is an early RIA pack (Note the similarity with

the attached Mills 1911 dated pack images I posted.   On later packs, this was eliminated and a straight cut was made at the end of the straps

where sewn to the body of the pack.

The three twisted attachment hooks are standard for 1st pattern haversacks of both Mills and Rock Island Arsenal (RIA).   They were eliminated

sometime in 1914 when the second type M1910 haversacks were produced.   I have observed both first and second types dated 1914, so the

changeover occurred sometime that year.  

On later packs, RIA also stamped the reverse of the front cover, so open the pack and examine closely.

M-

M1910 Haversack 1st Pat. _04a (Mills) 1911.jpg

M1910 Haversack 1st Pat. _04b (Mills) 1911.jpg

14 hours ago, US Victory Museum said:

A quick and easy way to identify who made which parts is by the stencil(s) and buttons.   An external pouch for eating utensils made by Mills would

have an eagle snap; those made by RIA would have a plain disk button as found on your pack.   The stencils used by RIA have solid letter "US".

Mills utilized a broken letter font. (See attached images)

Because there is a radius where the shoulder straps are sewn to the pack, I'm going to assert that this is an early RIA pack (Note the similarity with

the attached Mills 1911 dated pack images I posted.   On later packs, this was eliminated and a straight cut was made at the end of the straps

where sewn to the body of the pack.

You are right on the money, I looked closely on the inside of the pack right below where the shoulder straps are attached and found  Rock-----, Arsen--, 191-. A stain obscures the word Island, part of Arsenal and unfortunately  the last digit of the date.  I realize that this is a parted-together pack, much like a "parts gun", but at least the added parts are of the same period. Thanks so much for your help as I would not have noticed the inked stamping of RIA at all or the radius of the shoulder strap ends. That brings up yet another question(ugh!), any idea when Rock Island Arsenal began using RIA as their identifying stamp?  Thanks again,

Steve

DSCN1032.JPG

DSCN1035.JPG

US Victory Museum

"That brings up yet another question, any idea when Rock Island Arsenal began using RIA as their identifying stamp? "

Dear Steve:

Sometime between 1914 - 1915.   I am going to attach three photographs of Rock

Island Arsenal manufactured M1910 haversacks.  The first one is a 1st type pack dated

1914; the second image is a 2nd type pack also dated 1914; the third is a 2nd type

pack dated 1915, which now uses the RIA abbreviation.

I have never observed a Rock Island pack dated earlier than 1914.   The packs that

I have seen dated 1911, & 1912 have been Mills packs.

M1910 1st Pat. RIA 1914 _01c.jpg

US Victory Museum-- Thank you!   I suspected the 1914-1915 date on the Rock Island Arsenal to RIA  stamp change from observing it on a multitude of items over the years, but never really formulated a time period for when that occurred.   After some more examination with different types of lighting, I have convinced myself that the date on the pack in question is indeed 1914.  I would not bet the farm on it, but I did come to that conclusion before reading your last post! Thanks for all your expertise!

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hello from France?

I have R.I.A 1911 dated haversack , the color color use for the era is olive green ,almost kaki, i think , your's should have been re-dyed in green , maybe whith a "blanco" .

Have nice day.

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG