Suspicious of an eBay purchase- what do you think of this shoulder patch?

BigBrother

I purchased a Class A tunic and it didn’t read right to me. The wings, both lapel and chest, looked way newer/in better condition than the shoulder rank insignia and US letter pins. I gently halfway removed one of the lapel wings and the back read ‘LLGL’ which I found is correct, so I left all those alone (I don’t know, maybe different metals just age way differently with these pins?)

Anyway, the one though that really sat wrong with me was the patch. Please take a look at this stitching. I cannot imagine anything real would’ve been stitched anything close to this, but maybe I’m wrong (?) It’s also barely hanging on, that’s how light this stitch work is…

If people wonder about the different metal wear I can post those pics too.

1AAEDAC9-CDB9-4DFD-880E-ADAB7A62EFBF.jpeg

7CC09AFF-E611-423C-B845-0FD22B02A54F.jpeg

1E32CAED-4CC0-4146-AEB5-52B7AF118B28.jpeg

Hmm, this makes me wonder about something. I’ve purchased quite a number of shirts and tunics over the past few months and I’ve actually been surprised at how bright and colorful the patches are (USAAF). But for certain reasons, I’m not next to them at the moment, some of them I was pretty certain are authentic based on everything else in the collection. Did patches from back then maintain their color very well? Speaking not of bullion, just standard. They really do pop. In fact I’ve virtually never seen a faded patch.

Airbornewingz
10 hours ago, BigBrother said:

Hmm, this makes me wonder about something. I’ve purchased quite a number of shirts and tunics over the past few months and I’ve actually been surprised at how bright and colorful the patches are (USAAF). But for certain reasons, I’m not next to them at the moment, some of them I was pretty certain are authentic based on everything else in the collection. Did patches from back then maintain their color very well? Speaking not of bullion, just standard. They really do pop. In fact I’ve virtually never seen a faded patch.

Yeah I agree a lot of my ww2 era patches are way more lighter then my post. 

vintageproductions
11 hours ago, BigBrother said:

Next time you come over to showroom bring them and I will look at them.

It's not the color so much as the construction and materials used. Look at a lot of real ones for a bit ans you will be able to tell most of the fakes pretty easily - at least for the common "production" patches.

If you are reenacting with them I'm not too sure it would matter - just don't pay big prices.

Dave

Both metal insignia and patches vary widely in appearance.  I’ve got brass that is unquestionably WWII and it looks brand new, other brass that looks really dull and crappy, and everything in between.  Same (mor or less) with patches.  I think it comes down to the materials used, how hard it was worn, and how it was stored.  

cloth insignia can be at times hard to gauge especially by just a photo. This one being synthetic and merrowed edge is  pretty straight forward reproduction. See this type construction of patchees sold at reunions, mail order and even surplus and shops who cater to veterans etc.

Many WW2 patches will look new or unused. There were just so many made.

A little advice here its always better to ask questions before you buy the item not after. ☺️

3 hours ago, dhcoleterracina said:

I'd like to see what a blacklight shows. 

It’s the poster child of glowing patches.

• 4 weeks later...

As bad as the stiches are, I've seen worse and on real ones.   When the war ended guys couldn't get home fast enough.  When I used to see hundreds of uniforms in the rag mills I used to haunt you would see patches that were put on with safety pins!!!  Also saw them with glue, believe it or not, and stiches that went from a 5 year old to tremendous cross stiches.