PATCHRAT passes away

tredhed2

Just recd the news that ASMIC’s Tom Ayers and the Forum’s PATCHRAT passed away 20 Oct 21.  

Tom had an interest in Texas SG insignia and a phenomenal memory for ROTC patches and especially which Trading Post they were published in. You ROTC collectors will miss him a great deal. He helped me as Editor in understanding all the current reproductions out there. He was a walking encyclopedia on TX SG items. I. Think he had that collecting interest committed to memory, too.

He was a retired US Army NCO (E7 I believe) 

• 1 year later...
stratasfan

Just posting the obit that I found:

Obituary

Thomas “Tom” Dieter Ayers, 53 of Killeen, passed away Wednesday, October 20, 2021, at Baylor Scott & White Hospital. Services will be held at 1 pm Wednesday, October 27, 2021, at Harper-Talasek Funeral Home in Belton.

Tom was born on September 18, 1968, in Esslingen, Germany to the late John and Elke Ayers. He was a Desert Storm veteran and served our country with the U.S. Army, retiring in 2013 at the rank of Sergeant First Class. In his retirement, he enjoyed collecting military memorabilia. Tom married Elizabeth Bobbie Ayers on June 4, 1988.

Survivors include his wife; two daughters, Brittany Heckart, and Brigette Ayers; son-in-law, Brandon Heckart; and one grandson.

image.png

Rakkasan187

Very sad to hear this, I met Tom a number of years ago when he was visiting an antique shop in Las Cruces, New Mexico which is now closed. We spent a few hours chatting with the owner and talking about the forum as well.

A great guy and he will be missed.

Leigh 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi friends and fellow collectors.

It has taken me a long time to write this on Toms passing.

We only new each other for 5 years  and we would converse regularly on "whats app" at least ones week, 4 plus hours at a time, as well as many ,many emails on US patches from WWII to GWOT.

Tom helped me with understanding the Global War on Terror and the modern US Army and because of Tom , I built up quite a good GWOT collection from 2001-2015 from Toms deployments.

But most important was the friendship along with friends and fellow ASMIC and USMF members. 

Below is what I wrote on Toms passing but it has taken me until now , such was the impact of his loss I felt.

To my dear friend Tom.

It was an honour and previlege to know you.

As collector’s and long standing members of ASMIC, that brought us together to share our passion on collecting and you mentoring me on the modern era US Army GWOT/OEF/OIF campaigns, I learnt so much from your knowledge and  experience.

The hours of conversation on USArmy,OEF/OIF theatre made patch’s and family, I am the one who is better off to have known you and your family.

I will miss those conversations and someone who I could turn to for advise and a good chin wag.

Rest easy my friend………….

SFC Thomas Dieter Ayers US Army Veteran

TX NG 1986-1988

Germany 3AD  1988-1992

Desert Shield /Storm 3AD Dec 90-May 91

Korea 501st MI Bde Jun 1997 - May 1998

Bosnia 1 Cavalry Division   Mar - Aug 1999

Iraq OIF  4 ID Nov 2005- Dec 2006

Qatar OIF /OEF 138th MI DET (JSTARS) 4 short tours between Dec 2007 and Jan 2010

Afghanistan OEF  1 Cavalry Division, Jun 2011- Mar 2012

Afghanistan Contactor May - Dec 2014 - Feb- Apr 2015

Phill Lockett

Auckland New Zealand

SFC Tom Ayers US Army..png

• 6 months later...
Spathologist

I somehow missed this thread.

Tom and I were both with the 1st Cav during OEF XII, were the same age, and shared origins in and a love for all things Texas.

I didn't know he'd passed, and I didn't know he was Patchrat...

RIP, Trooper.  See you on the Green.