P-4A with playboy bunny

Phantomf4

The only USAF unit that I know of that officially displayed the "Playboy" bunny was  the 9th SRW, and even then, it was displayed on only one of their aircraft, SR-71A / 61-7978 "Rapid Rabbit"  That helmet would not have been worn in that aircraft. 

Nice helmet in great condition!

Thanks!! Another possibility is "Playboy Nineteen" It's a Air force academy squadron. They first used the playboy bunny on there patch in 1962. 

12 hours ago, Phantomf4 said:

Thanks!! Another possibility is "Playboy Nineteen" It's a Air force academy squadron. They first used the playboy bunny on there patch in 1962. 

That could be too...love the bunny

2 hours ago, phantomfixer said:

http://www.salimbeti.com/aviation/helmets1.htm

scroll down about 2/3rds of the way down...shows very colorful P series helmets used by the USN and USMC...pretty cool.helmet

Very interesting, i had no idea. You got me wondering now. i'll post more pictures of it later showing the comms plugs etc and see if this thing was set up for Naval aircraft. It came with a MS220011 mask with no microphone and a metal bracket on the front for mounting to the helmet. 

Lovely set ! With such comm cord and Y-yoke on the mask, your P-4 shell sure does look like a naval set from the mid to late 50's.

As Phantomfixer stated, P-series helmets were not the norm in naval aviation of course, but not uncommon.

If it happened to be confirmed, the odd are great that the squadron was USMC's VMC-2 / VMCJ-2 (former designation of the famous VMAQ-2) "Playboys".

Here's a little history of the squadron, as you can see the dates fit right in !

At that time, this composite unit flew the AD-5 Skyraiders and F3D Skyknight (also the F-8 Crusader, but the O² connector on your mask isn't right for this one - the Crusader needed a REDAR hose and mini-regulator).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It is called U-75/U.

This 2 small-pin / 1 jack plug was typical of the USN / USMC as of the early 50's, and still is today in a modern version !

1426968903_U-75Uplug.jpg.50ba20c66f15f9a394f02e17eea96443.jpg

Examples from my early and late 70's APH-6 helmets.