Rusty Bazooka

mikes militaria

mikes militaria

I was helping a friend sort through an old military vets collection. The vet is an old friend that was stationed in Germany in the 70s, for how long I don’t know. The guy I was helping used to stay with him while visiting Germany looking for Militaria. Sadly the old Army vet is in assisted living, my friend is selling his collection to help the old vet out. I noticed this rusted out Bazooka in the old vet’s garage. It was going to be left behind for anyone picking through the leftovers. I expressed interest in it and it was given to me. In the frenzy of going through the guy’s stuff, we had limited time and there was a lot of stuff, I just put in the van and went about my business. After unloading I put the bazooka in my car and went home. It was a tough trip and I was extremely tired. I never met the old vet but I was wondering if he could remember where it came from. After a couple of days I decided to take a good look at my new relic. There was an obvious tag , that I over looked, stating it was found in the Huertgen Forest in 1984. When asked “What are you going to do with that thing?” I said “ Keep it” I thought I’d share it. I think it’s ******* awesome.

A967E123-625F-4F9F-8778-D0FFB342129D.jpeg

BDB0CE2E-467A-4779-81DD-9F22F91DBDE7.jpeg

It is cool and do not doubt the origins...There were most likely, and just assuming, there were no real restrictions for battle fields in Germany at that time...

Battlefield relics are really great pieces. Talk about "been there, done that!" I probably don't need to say this but for added historical value, I would make sure to include the vets name, and other details you know to the tag.

Thanks for posting, glad it was saved from the trash.

BKW

• 3 months later...

Neat find. There's a bunch of pics out there of GIs using the bazooka in the Hurtgen. This one was of good resolution.

A Bazooka Team of the 94th Infantry Division, take position in the rubble of destroyed German home, in the town of Orscholz: February 19, 1945.

spacer.png