Is this a WWII 77th ID tactical symbol on this liner?

manayunkman

Yes that is the symbol used by the 77th ID, hard to tell since it is so beat up but is everything wartime construction? I think the black A watchers were introduced kind of late war, I’ve generally stayed away from them but it might make sense that the 77th on Okinawa may have gotten that style.

4 hours ago, Ray42 said:

Yes that is the symbol used by the 77th ID, hard to tell since it is so beat up but is everything wartime construction? I think the black A watchers were introduced kind of late war, I’ve generally stayed away from them but it might make sense that the 77th on Okinawa may have gotten that style.

Thank you for the confirmation.

The A washers are brass.

2 hours ago, sgtdorango said:

Great find those dont pop up alot at all!!👍🏻.....mike

Thanks for the confidence Sarge.

The black coated brass A-washers were introduced mid-1944, so it seems reasonable they could have made it to Okinawa... Was the painted insignia used post-war or primarily wartime? Very nice liner either way! Like it's been said, they don't appear very often. 

- Alec

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, among the units in WWII that actually consistently marked their helmets, I’d say 77th ID lids/liners are among the most scarce. Talk about an awesome addition to your collection