New meat gets a M151A2 today

New meat

Charlie Flick

The following are pretty much standard for invigorating any old motor vehicle that has been sitting for 2 decades. 

Drain all of the fluids and replace with fresh.  Install a new battery.  Install new filters.  Check all hoses for cracks and obvious leaks.  Remove and check all covers and plates to insure that no mice have found a home.   Tires may need replacement depending on how much wear and UV exposure they had.  Check the belts for looseness, fraying and cracking.  If it was in a museum one would presume that it was displayed with a drained fuel tank and fuel lines.  If not, you will need to drain and clean.  Get the USGI manual for the M151A2 and review it thoroughly before starting.  Make sure that all lights are functional.  Get your insurance lined up before driving.  You might be able to get antique vehicle insurance at a much lower cost.  Depending on where you live your M151 may qualify as an "antique" and can get a permanent license plate at lower cost than that for a regular vehicle.   

That should get you started.  Good luck.  When it comes in how about posting some pics as received?

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie, thanks man!! Well said. I purchased the manuals for the mutt. Gas tank was drained, batteries removed. I was planning on doing all you suggested. It was delivered today. Now the fun begins!!!

That will be fun to resurrect, hopefully it won't be difficult to license or insure.  Some states/companies focus on the bad reputation the vehicle got (safety wise). I like the look of them a lot, but I also know a lot of vets who drove them and are scared of them to this day. Probably the earliest model though, the A2 was much improved. Get some photos of it before you clean up too much, just as an example of something that hadn't been recently worked on (so more original parts than some of the modern replacements). 

The only thing about them is their tendency to flip.

You go too fast in too sharp a turn and it will roll over.

Thats why the last models with the addition of seat belts and a roll bar were better than the old ones.

But it will still flip taking turns too fast.

Watch old military training films about driver saftey with the jeeps..

Thats just an FYI in case you had not heard about that.

If you get some time, post some pictures and congratulations !

M-151 A2’s have rear suspension retaining straps to prevent most flip overs. All suggestions are spot on, I would replace all hoses and belts. Never forget a buddy and I changed engine and transmission in group Co’s. 151 in Vietnam in 3 hours, got 3 day R&R IN Vung Tau, lol.

Thanks for the info. I am enjoying the challenge. The outer

body is good. There was surface rust inside, which I am working on. I am enjoying my new hobby, it keeps me off the recliner!!!