RIP General Colin Powell

Bob Hudson

I had the priviledge of throwing a party for General Powell when he was Joint Chiefs chairman.  He was a pleasant down-to-earth person.

colin-powell-RIP.jpg.0e7c709f1154605508c7c37d8c96e7d0.jpg

One in a million...

His military retirement ceremony at the Pentagon was full on all out everything and everyone they could put on the parade ground - very memorable and moving to see. 

• 5 months later...

As noted above, when  I met General Powell we talked about working on old Volvos. In the intervening 30 years I sometimes wondered if I recalled that correctly because a four-star general and later Secretary of State seems like an unlikely candidate for crawling underneath old cars. But this week I found an online photo of General Powell and his Volvos! 

10D6B2DB-EE31-4E6A-9855-2D987D3A298D.png.a6a7ca30497eae010f6bf606313559d4.png

manayunkman

Always admired this man, RIP General.

Great photos Bob and it must have been wonderful to meet him.

When I was in high school, my father was  with the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Pentagon "Think Tank". Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara and General Colin Powell were in the meetings that took place. My Dad was an advisor to Secretary of Defense McNamara. My Dad shared some thoughts once(not to be repeated) on what it was like to work with Colin Powell. I knew Colin Powell had a passion for Volvos. What is also interesting  POTUS has owned a 1967 Corvette for many years, and the Secret Service will not allow him to drive it on public roads.     

RIP General Powell