More flight helmets for ID....they keep coming...

ChrisG43

Here are two more of the large lot of helmets I purchased.  I assume that #1 is a PRK-37/p shell, did some looking last night and I'm guessing these could be built into a variety of HGU helmets?  Don't know which one mine is for sure.

Helmet #2 I'm guessing is an HGU-2/A quarter shell assembly.  This had been high up on a wall and sitting for years, when it came down off the shelf it started to crumble, by the time I pulled it out of one box and up on my shelf it was falling apart, the foam liner was extremely brittle...sadly....

Once I get some more time I have several P-4 series helmets, I'm keeping a couple of them and hoping to restore them.  I have a visor bracket and other parts, and they are in real good shape overall, but will need a visor piece, etc.  So more to come on those in the next couple weeks. 

IMG_5002.JPG

IMG_5003.JPG

IMG_5004.JPG

IMG_5005.JPG

IMG_5006.JPG

IMG_5007.JPG

IMG_5008.JPG

IMG_5009.JPG

IMG_5010.JPG

IMG_5011.JPG

IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

IMG_5015.JPG

1st one is a PRK-37, which is the base part number for that shell.  When you put together if it had a single or dual visor, custom fit liner or sizing pads, if it had a boom mic or not, what headset assembly it had and what ICS cable is installed it would become a certain model of HGU-##/P.   You would have to look at the list from the NAVAIR manual to determine which one specifically since there is a list of variables.

2nd shell is a Quarter Shell as shown on the label, which is a HGU-26 series.  That liner was from a later HGU-2A/P as shown by the nomenclature, I believe from one of the earlier custom fit liner setups.  Someone was selling brand new foam liners like that not long ago.  Being 50 yr old foam is kind of hard to deal with depending on how it was stored.  Id say given the 80s contract on that shell and the 71 contract on that liner, they probably were originally together but who really knows.

8 hours ago, hink441 said:

I think the first helmet could be from an E-2 Hawkeye or C-2 Greyhound

I thought that at first with the type of ICS cord but they are usually dual visor and the big thing it lacks is the in line amp for the mic.  I dont see any evidence of one being mounted.  E-2 I know uses the amp on helmet and mask, the C-2 Im not sure on.

On 10/18/2021 at 1:41 AM, mohawkALSE said:

1st one is a PRK-37, which is the base part number for that shell.  When you put together if it had a single or dual visor, custom fit liner or sizing pads, if it had a boom mic or not, what headset assembly it had and what ICS cable is installed it would become a certain model of HGU-##/P.   You would have to look at the list from the NAVAIR manual to determine which one specifically since there is a list of variables.

2nd shell is a Quarter Shell as shown on the label, which is a HGU-26 series.  That liner was from a later HGU-2A/P as shown by the nomenclature, I believe from one of the earlier custom fit liner setups.  Someone was selling brand new foam liners like that not long ago.  Being 50 yr old foam is kind of hard to deal with depending on how it was stored.  Id say given the 80s contract on that shell and the 71 contract on that liner, they probably were originally together but who really knows.

The PRK-37/P shell has the PRU-40/P liner and part of the fitting pad in it making it a HGU-34/P The HGU-33/P has no foam liner it had the PRU-39 form fitted liner in it. The other shell would be used for the HGU-22 and the HGU-26 but a new liner and fitting pads aren't that expensive to get though to restore it.

On top of that the EEK-4 visor needs to be replaced on the HGU-34 since it is cracked.

On 10/24/2021 at 6:36 PM, Mikeym_us said:

The PRK-37/P shell has the PRU-40/P liner and part of the fitting pad in it making it a HGU-34/P The HGU-33/P has no foam liner it had the PRU-39 form fitted liner in it. The other shell would be used for the HGU-22 and the HGU-26 but a new liner and fitting pads aren't that expensive to get though to restore it.

On top of that the EEK-4 visor needs to be replaced on the HGU-34 since it is cracked.

This is not a HGU-34. A 34 is indeed a 33 but with the PRK-40 liner that uses fitting pads, but those helmets are for use with oxygen masks only, so no boom mount, and no ICS cord like that, just the CX-4708A/AIC headset cable.  

I looked up in the PRK-37 list and this helmet would be a HGU-47(V)3 used for the T-34C Mentor training aircraft.  Has the PRK-37 shell, EEK-4A/P single visor housing assembly, PRK-40 liner assembly, boom microphone, no in line amplifier and has the CX-13164/A type ICS cord.     Had it had a CX-13155/A cord assbly, it would have been for the C-2 Cod aircraft as a HGU-47(V)2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 11:50 AM, mohawkALSE said:

This is not a HGU-34. A 34 is indeed a 33 but with the PRK-40 liner that uses fitting pads, but those helmets are for use with oxygen masks only, so no boom mount, and no ICS cord like that, just the CX-4708A/AIC headset cable.  

I looked up in the PRK-37 list and this helmet would be a HGU-47(V)3 used for the T-34C Mentor training aircraft.  Has the PRK-37 shell, EEK-4A/P single visor housing assembly, PRK-40 liner assembly, boom microphone, no in line amplifier and has the CX-13164/A type ICS cord.     Had it had a CX-13155/A cord assbly, it would have been for the C-2 Cod aircraft as a HGU-47(V)2

And I have a HGU-47(V)4 off of a P-3 Orion

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

• 4 months later...
Kirkus Maximus
On 10/28/2021 at 10:50 AM, mohawkALSE said:

I have also seen that very HGU configuration used in the S-3A/B Viking. Have also seen the HGU-49/P on the S-3B

Greg-Bules-1.jpeg

its-two-pilots-sit-in-the-cockpit-of-an-s-3a-viking-aircraft-of-air-anti-submarine-ec6624-1024.jpg

message-editor_1571738383243-12fvv.webp

16667ca3d63a0e346219d912dfa7771c.jpg

DSC03758.png

Kirkus Maximus

So looking at the PRK images...I'd have to say it was a HGU-33/P that went to a HGU-34/P or HGU-47/P and likely was taken to partially to HGU-52/P (staying with the PRK-40/P liner). It sure seems to be between a stages. Definitely something a bit unusual with the progression of that PRK.  This illustration shows mostly what we are seeing in the OP PRK shell and would have been flown on E-2, EA-6A, A-3 series of aircraft and as an instructor helmet in T-28B/C. Up to the mid-80's when the PRU-36/P would be widely fielded in the fleet.

hgu-52p_drawing.jpg

hgu-52p_vaw111_2.jpg