Question about Grandfather’s Service

MajorBonacelli

MajorBonacelli

Lately I’ve been trying to scramble together my grandfather’s service. He never liked talking about it (he got screwed out of his vet benefits. I don’t know more than that).

He served from 1953-1955, going through basic with the 31st Infantry “Dixie” Division before being transferred into the 8th Infantry Division in Colorado in 1954. I’ve got a photo of him in-uniform when he was with the Dixie, but the Military Police Ike Jacket I have of his has a 5th Army Patch. Basically, I’m trying to figure what units constituted the 5th Army in ~1954. Any help is most appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, it seems your Grandfather was at Fort Carson with the 31st Infantry Division as the 31st Infantry Division was essitaly Reflagged as the 8th Infantry Division. the 31st Infantry Division was at first at Camp Atterbury Indiana were it was a non combat training division

In those days, 50s and 60s 5th Army was what was known as a Administration Army, meaning it wasn't a Field Army, your Field Army is the type that conducts Combat Operations or will conduct Combat Operations, case in point in the early 50s when your Grandfather was in, 8th Army, 8th Army was engaged in Combat in Korea, 7th Army, 7th Army was on guard in Germany, incase the Soviets tried to take advantage of the war in Korea, and invade Western Europe.

Administration Armies had jurisdiction over the various Army Posts and commanded and controlled a whole array of combat support and support units, all Separate Battalion and or Companies, both Regular Army and Reserves, to include now and again National Guard units.  In those days 5th Army area of responsibly covered many different states in the Mid West to include Indiana, and the eastern areas of the west to include Colorado.

As he has a 5th Army patch, then e wasn't in the 8th Division very long, and that means he was assigned to either a MP Battalion or Company under 5th Army.

Here's a photo of what we're talking about in regards to the Armies have control over Army posts then, 5th Army, it controlled Camp Atterbury as you see, while the 31st Infantry Division then at Camp Atterbury we believe fell under the old Army Ground Forces which by the then was redesignated as  U.S. Army Field Forces (1948-1955)

post-34986-0-30081300-1500172020.jpg