USMC HBT shirt with name stencil. WW 2? Korea?

Boy Howdy

Not my forte' but couldn't pass it up at the flea market.

Buttons say US Marine Corps.

Any info on Mr.T.J. McGrath would be greatly appreciated.

processed-98c78e47-f94b-4f50-9376-2b6868390b5c_n1gkn5gt.jpeg

processed-c791ac8f-2c79-4443-82bb-539bae4ce0cc_nb5EWCl7.jpeg

OK.

Considering that I found this in the same county as Neptune and Ft. Monmouth this might be him.

"Thomas J. "T.J." McGrath, of Neptune, died Friday, Sept. 17, at Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Neptune, after a brief illness. He was born in Cambridge, Md., and lived most of his life in Neptune. He served his country in the Marine Corps in World War II. He was a member of the Asbury Masonic Lodge 142, chief of the Neptune Township Fire Department, and president of the Neptune First Aid. He was retired from Fort Monmouth where he worked as an electrical line foreman. He had a wonderful sense of humor and was loved by all he came in contact with."r seeh

Now I have to see if I can find where he served.

BIRTH: 1925

Cambridge, Dorchester County, Maryland, USA

DEATH: 17 Sep 2004 (aged 78–79)

Nice shirt

I have seen and own WW2 stenciled shirts with the name across the back. To me you see this later in the war. Even over the pocket isnt uncommon for WW2. I have a couple of Army hbt shirts marked to Marines. One came in a large uniform group from a local veteran. All of his items were given to the Legion Hall here and when they sold the building last year they were going to throw the items away or give them to good will. I havent much info on him but apears he served in the Army in WW1 as there was a WW1 uniform as well.

Years ago I saw a set where the name was done both on the back of the shirt and down the right leg of the trouser. Im sure one of the members here will pull up the muster roll for him. 

here is the only set of marked trousers I have. Came with a army hbt shirt narked to the same vet. I bought a small group of items frpm a seller who split it all up. I recall the vat went into the AF after WW2 and was a pilot. The person had a high altutude helmet and suit that was part of the group.

hbtmarkedshirt4.jpg.d7b5937c6543051db134d08f76b375fa.jpg

1 hour ago, Boy Howdy said:

Neat stuff doyler.

Thanks for the info.

No EGA on the pocket. Is that common?

Dunno..

I have a couple with out EGA. One was from an officer who was a pilot in the late 50s and early 60s. No markings at all. 

Not uncommon to see Marines stencil their names prominently, especially when on ship. Makes it easy to identify your stuff when your clothing gets mixed up in the ship laundry. I’d concur that it’s either late- or postwar.

Nice dungaree jacket.  Hard to tell from the pics, but I would look closely at the pocket for remnants of an EGA - maybe even hit it with IR, if so inclined.  Wear and laundering causes those to fade; sometimes to the point of vanishing.

Congrats on the find.

Thank you very much Blacksmith.

I appreciated your advice and comments.

I tooka picture with the night vision setting on my camera. I don't see anything but maybe a better trained eye will.

IMG_20211018_163506452.jpg