M4 PAL

Pep

Just got this in.  A nice M4.  I was wondering if the blade finish is original.  It looks very crisp.

The scabbard spring is very light, not "grabbing" the blade hard.

20211016_120453.jpg.641c02a8e2cc5935380dbecc78c0a15e.jpgf.jpg.89275c7b7c45aa23cd5c17cb741d1b37.jpg20211016_120502.jpg.6be8ef91cd2b01464001fd3086ab9fb1.jpgb.jpg.e38ad2001ca93c3357d3c5e4b1c4ae1f.jpgd.jpg.fd044dd3813d96670abf8f12d4f2d5f9.jpgc.jpg.4b178ebe14b0fba97633b894a04d9ec3.jpga.jpg.300967e155cccfca9efb48a78288507b.jpg

Ordnance bomb is mis-struck...

2 hours ago, sundance said:

Very nice looking. I'm not qualified to comment on the finish. Does it fall out of the sheath if you hold it upside down? 

No it stays.  The spring holds it unless you jerk it, then it slips out half way.

28 minutes ago, SKIPH said:

Based on the pics, it looks good to me. Scabbard wear on the blade isn't too bad. SKIP

Thanks, the spring is just not tight on the blade on this scabbard.

51 minutes ago, tarheeltim said:

The end of the blade that is peened to the pommel.

What is the significance of that feature?'

I trust that none of the forum members are bidding on this put together M4 that is described as "This a Wonderful condition  WW2,  IMPERIAL, bayonet, for the M 1 carbine and a M8A1 scabbard. Bayonet is in wonderful condition.  Blade is 100% parkerized,  has not  been in a scabbard. Wonderful Blade shows factory sharping lines. It shows no rust,dings or damage. Guard is marked U.S. M'' '' , and IMPERIAL., Strong flaming bomb stamping. Wonderful parkerizing. Hilt is in fine condition, parts work fine, pins are tapered. Nice ""SP''and  numbers ''1'', ''4'', number 1 hard to read.  Leather grip are in great condition, nice light color, no damage, no handling marks, Has been very well taken care of".  Go to pages 176-177 of my Book One to see a real Imperial M4.  This one has a totally wrong handle including missing the plastic spacers.  Look at the pommel peen.  The handle is likely too short to accommodate reusing the blade which could be any blade.  All metal parts have the same park finish which is wrong. 

This M4 is a great one for discussion.  BTW, this seller has been selling a lot of put together M4's.  Not sure if they are doing it or unaware.  As I always says, pays to have a good book to avoid buying a bad knife.

Bill

image.png.b680d2d4474a50022bd05f056a4ac920.png

11 minutes ago, Bill Walters said:

I trust that none of the forum members are bidding on this put together M4 that is described as "This a Wonderful condition  WW2,  IMPERIAL, bayonet, for the M 1 carbine and a M8A1 scabbard. Bayonet is in wonderful condition.  Blade is 100% parkerized,  has not  been in a scabbard. Wonderful Blade shows factory sharping lines. It shows no rust,dings or damage. Guard is marked U.S. M'' '' , and IMPERIAL., Strong flaming bomb stamping. Wonderful parkerizing. Hilt is in fine condition, parts work fine, pins are tapered. Nice ""SP''and  numbers ''1'', ''4'', number 1 hard to read.  Leather grip are in great condition, nice light color, no damage, no handling marks, Has been very well taken care of".  Go to pages 176-177 of my Book One to see a real Imperial M4.  This one has a totally wrong handle including missing the plastic spacers.  Look at the pommel peen.  The handle is likely too short to accommodate reusing the blade which could be any blade.  All metal parts have the same park finish which is wrong. 

This M4 is a great one for discussion.  BTW, this seller has been selling a lot of put together M4's.  Not sure if they are doing it or unaware.  As I always says, pays to have a good book to avoid buying a bad knife.

Bill

I agree.

book !.jpg

17 minutes ago, Bill Walters said:

Bill

Understood Sir

6 minutes ago, mikedon said:

I agree.

book !.jpg

At $99 it is just a little less than what I paid for the Pal M4.

This is a must have book though if one is going to dabble in the M3/M4 area.

Spines, star burst, etc.  Seems like there are at least two names, or more, for just about any part of a knife or bayonet.  Really no substitute for good references, but I know I'm preaching to the choir here.

2 hours ago, Pep said:

What is the significance of that feature?'

I just happen to like seeing that fresh bare metal to indicate it hasn't been refinished.

The light strike of the Ordnance bomb of this PAL is the rule, rather than the exception.  It is not common to see a good clear flaming bomb on a PAL M4.

Marv