WWI U.S. No. 2 Experimental Helmet

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

When the United States entered World War I it had no steel helmet and was initially equipped with British Brodie helmets. The American military turned to Dr. Bashford Dean, curator of arms and armor at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and an armor expert, to design a new helmet. Submitted in June of 1917, the No.2 helmet featured a larger rim than the British or French helmets with its design influenced by the helmets of classical Greece. Basher makes no references in his book Helmets and Body Armor in Modern Warfare of a No.1 helmet. There was some field testing of the No. 2 and it was well received. 2,000 were produced by the Ford Motor Company of Detroit, Michigan. However, it was difficult to manufacture and to close in design to the German M16 helmet, and was rejected by the U.S. Army. This example is solid with a strong finish and two of the German style liner 'pillows' intact.  Neat stuff!

Helmet 3 (1).JPG

Helmet 3 (2).JPG

Helmet 3 (3).JPG

Helmet 3 (4).JPG

The Millicent

Great find.  I found one years ago that was completely stripped and sandblasted.  Prairie Flower Leather Company in Ord, Nebraska made me a liner (they do not advertise it, but they have the pattern) and refinished it.  Did a great job but no ‘star’ design on the rivets.  If any of you have one that is well-beyond preserving, they do a great job.