St. John's Icecaps M81 helmet cover?

PatLaabs

I was at an antique store today when I came across an M1 helmet with an M81 helmet cover. I like looking at/buying military items from antique stores so when I saw it I picked it up and that's when I noticed the patch on the front. It appears to be a direct embroidery and even weirder the liner is missing everything save for the nape strap (hopefully the right term). The weirdest part of all though is that the liner almost appears to be riveted to the shell itself but when I feel where the rivets would be on the shell I don't feel anything. I can't seem to get the liner unstuck and I don't want to damage anything. 

If anyone has any idea what this is please tell me. I'm assuming it's just a novelty item.

20211014_170155.jpg

20211014_170202.jpg

20211014_170207.jpg

20211014_170229.jpg

20211014_170238.jpg

20211014_170246.jpg

19 minutes ago, aef1917 said:

The IceCaps were an AHL team from Newfoundland.

Thank you. From what I was looking up I saw that it was some sort of hockey team. My question though is why is it embroidered to the cover and what is going on with the liner? Was it a promotional thing or something? 

This is just a wild guess, but I'd bet it was for "Buddy the Puffin" (team mascot) to wear on a military appreciation night.  The velcro tabs and lack of a liner would facilitate attaching it to Buddy's head.....

13 minutes ago, T Ambrosini said:

This is just a wild guess, but I'd bet it was for "Buddy the Puffin" (team mascot) to wear on a military appreciation night.  The velcro tabs and lack of a liner would facilitate attaching it to Buddy's head.....

I had a similar thought to that. That's a pretty good guess and would make alot of sense. 

So what do I do with this now? Keep it as is or try to return it to how it was when it was made? I have multiple M1's so it's not like I need it to be restored. I mainly bought it out of curiosity. 

31 minutes ago, T Ambrosini said:

The real story here is Buddy the Puffin.