Modern US medal bar - why without Good Conduct Medal?

svoi

Hello to everyone! I do not understand why this medal group doesn't has Good Conduct Medal? Wikipedia says that GCM is awarded for 3 years of active service, owner of this medal bar served of course more than 3 years. Why there is no GCM?

Thank you!

1.png

You have a few possibilities here. First, the sailor could have been an officer, which would mean that he or she was not eligible for a Good Conduct.

It is also possible that the sailor did not earn a Good Conduct medal. They are NOT automatic. It is also possible that the orders for the medal hadn't processed. I used to see this all of the time in the army. A soldier would have three years and no GC. We would check the records and there would be a record of the award, but the soldier never got the medal. I've also seen the paperwork take up to two years to go through the channels with the award date backdated.

It is possible that the bars were constructed prior to the sailor earning a GC, and the sailor didn't feel like having the medal bar redone.

Allan

Thank you for your fast answers! I had guesses that the awarded could be an officer, but the words of Wikipedia that "all personnel are awarded" were confusing .

22 minutes ago, Allan H. said:

You have a few possibilities here. First, the sailor could have been an officer, which would mean that he or she was not eligible for a Good Conduct.

It is also possible that the sailor did not earn a Good Conduct medal. They are NOT automatic. It is also possible that the orders for the medal hadn't processed. I used to see this all of the time in the army. A soldier would have three years and no GC. We would check the records and there would be a record of the award, but the soldier never got the medal. I've also seen the paperwork take up to two years to go through the channels with the award date backdated.

It is possible that the bars were constructed prior to the sailor earning a GC, and the sailor didn't feel like having the medal bar redone.

Allan

You say "sailor" but owner of this medal bar could be sailor or marine, isn't it?

Until 31 December 1995 Navy GCM's required 4 years service. If this sailor did one four year enlistment he would have received the GCM at or after the time of his discharge and it  likely would not show up on a medal rack made before his discharge. We see a similar thing with service stripes on Navy uniforms: a  Chief retiring after 20 years, for example, would have stripes for 16 years of service on their uniform, and - again - likely would not spend the time or money to add the latest stripe to a uniform he will no longer wear.