Thoughts on this World War I Painted Helmet.

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

This WWI painted helmet was in an antique store I was in this pact weekend. I was in a hurry so I didn't bother to ask them to take it out so not the best photos and it is actually made into a lamp shape. What do you think does it look legit?

20211009_144531.jpg.ea9333a05621806a88ee13f6b51b4d52.jpg20211009_144537.jpg.a25752e46dfb3e55101391f1b2bd6b89.jpg

It's a known style. 

You often hear that doughboys had their helmets painted by local artists before shipping out, and judging by the wide variety of units I've seen painted around the rim, I think these may be examples of that phenomenon.

I'd want to have a look at it in hand, but I don't see any huge red flags.  It matches nicely with other examples I've seen over the years.

Manchu Warrior
18 minutes ago, aef1917 said:

It's a known style. 

You often hear that doughboys had their helmets painted by local artists before shipping out, and judging by the wide variety of units I've seen painted around the rim, I think these may be examples of that phenomenon.

I'd want to have a look at it in hand, but I don't see any huge red flags.  It matches nicely with other examples I've seen over the years.

Helmets are a little out my zone and the dealer was asking $1200 for it. I'm really not interested just curious and trying to educate myself. 

I'm always skeptical when I see helmets like this that seem too perfect.  That said, the name and unit seem to check out for a soldier from Ontario, VA (see attached).  Probably worth more research.

Dennis

1918 Sep 19 - 1921 Aug 18.jpg

1919 Jun 15 - 1919 May 28.jpg

Manchu Warrior
8 minutes ago, bertmedals said:

I'm always skeptical when I see helmets like this that seem too perfect.  That said, the name and unit seem to check out for a soldier from Ontario, VA (see attached).  Probably worth more research.

Dennis

1918 Sep 19 - 1921 Aug 18.jpg

1919 Jun 15 - 1919 May 28.jpg

The dealer who owns the helmet has a long history of buying out high end estates and he has come across some rather amazing items over the years. I just thought it was an item I wanted to educate myself on and I appreciate the information.   Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
Primoris Scio
On 10/13/2021 at 8:50 PM, Manchu Warrior said:

This WWI painted helmet was in an antique store... it is actually made into a lamp shape. What do you think does it look legit?

On 10/13/2021 at 10:49 PM, Manchu Warrior said:

The dealer who owns the helmet has a long history of buying out high end estates and he has come across some rather amazing items over the years. I just thought it was an item I wanted to educate myself on and I appreciate the information.

Manchu Warior, the helmet has the correct painting style and lettering authentic to that era (very hard to fake in that detail).  I think I can also see the year 1919 painted on the first photo to the far left side of the rim, which means this helmet was painted post-war, and in the US.  The orginial owner had time to sit down with a professional artist and review the design in exquisite detail. 

If the antique dealer is known for acquiring from high end estates, that would also be a very good sign, especially since militaria is not their primary business focus - to them the helmet/lamp is only a tangential piece of antiquity.  If you had seen other similiar WW1 helmet items on display there in previous visits that would be a red flag of caution.

On 10/13/2021 at 10:36 PM, bertmedals said:

Dennis

Since the name can actually be linked to the unit identified on the helmet that is excellent, you would not find a random piece of fakery in this kind of store, especially with the ability to trace the person who is written on it.  Whomever buys it will have a quality display piece for their home.

Great find Dennis!

Can you post the link to where you found those documents?

On 10/13/2021 at 9:25 PM, aef1917 said:

aef1917, just for clarity, when you wrote "before shipping out" were you referring to them leaving the US from 1917-1918, or returning to the US from 1918-1919?

From what I understand, they did not start painting their helmets until the final weeks of the war, with the majority having theirs painted well after it had ended, both in France and the US.  

I think he meant on the return trip home.

Based on other painted WWII helmets, is $1200 a bit steep?

I just think of it as if my wife had to offload it if I were to die tomorrow. What could she expect for it on the open market?

2 hours ago, Primoris Scio said:

I think I can also see the year 1919 painted on the first photo to the far left side of the rim, which means this helmet was painted post-war, and in the US.  The orginial owner had time to sit down with a professional artist and review the design in exquisite detail. 

How does a 1919 date mean a helmet was painted in the US?  Some American forces remained in Germany until 1923.

I don't think there was a consultation with an artist, since this is not a one-of-a-kind helmet.  It's a known style that typically varies only in the name/unit info painted around the rim.  Here are two I found with a few minutes of searching.

Helmet2.jpeg.c03aa7af2f36ab98147de32b4ea381c0.jpegHelmet1.jpg.6e6300f5cd77a70ef706dfe2fd87e9bb.jpg

Primoris Scio

Do you know where they were painted, and if they were "mass produced" who was making them?  At least they are from the era as further evidence that the helmet he found would have been real.  

Primoris Scio

I was reading a separate thread about WW1 painted helmets and found a post that is somewhat relevant to this thread.  If the helmet posted is a standard design, would it be reasonable to conclude that it was made in the US, unless someone knows otherwise? 

It would be difficult to standardize this helmet design throughout France and Germany.  If this were made in Brest, or some other town where large numbers of servicemen were concentrated prior to departing from France, then it might be possible.  How long does it take to paint, would the soldier have time to wait for it?  I think this is an American creation.  

On 4/30/2008 at 11:28 AM, Lawdog said:

WW1 Helmet Trivia:

Following the end of hostilities in WW1, US Soldiers and Marines were allowed to bring one uniform item home as a souvenier....Most, obviously chose to keep their helmets. As a result, Numerous "little shops" began popping up in nearly every town or city that specialized ( for a fee) in "souvenier painting" and adding "realistic battle damage" to the GI's helmets. This "battle damage" was administered by nothing more than a few errant blows form a ball peen hammer or a glancing pistol shot. The majority of all painted WW1 helmets were done post-war, and one can probably safely assume that any battle damaged or dented helmet was also done post war by GI's wanting to embellish on heroic deeds, and impress family or girlfriends. The garrishly painted camo helmets we see in collections today were not standard on the battlefield during WW1.

It is also interesting that Walt Disney , who had been in an ambulance unit, also got into the helmet painting craze after the war!  I have never run across such a painted helmet that was signed or attributed to him!  Still, these are really  artifacts for display!

I personally would not pay anywhere near $1200.00 .

Its a lamp shade now. Too high priced in my opinion.

Maybe a couple hundred?