POST WAR LIAISON WINGS?

donaldnol

had this wing for a short time and would like to know if it could be a government issued wing or just a made up one. it's die struck has long pins, and is not silver. thanks for viewing

DSCN3486.JPG

DSCN3489.JPG

DSCN3487.JPG

DSCN3488.JPG

DSCN3492.JPG

• 5 months later...
On 10/13/2021 at 5:05 PM, donaldnol said:

had this wing for a short time and would like to know if it could be a government issued wing or just a made up one. it's die struck has long pins, and is not silver. thanks for viewing

DSCN3486.JPG

DSCN3489.JPG

DSCN3487.JPG

DSCN3488.JPG

DSCN3492.JPG

i've posted this back in oct.2021 any thoughts out there of what era this could be? Or is it a new production model you can speak freely on this. thanks

I think the liaison wings were obsolete by 1948 or so.  Exact date escapes me, but while the liaison pilot rating was no longer being used, I think that L pilots could still wear that old rating on their uniform well after that time period. In general the style of wing looks post WWII with the nail head pins and electrosoldering. However, I have always felt that we (collectors) tend to apply our OWN rules to things that we believe, based on nothing other than dealer lore and what someone on a forum said.

IIRC, Gemsco bought many of the AMICO dies after WWII but before Korea (although I may be incorrect exactly on who bought who and when)--so correct me if I am wrong. You find GEMSCO made wings (and unmarked) pilot wings that probably date from the KW time period. You also find GEMSCO wings that were probably made as souvenir items (like TO wings) that were sold in various venues like Army/Navy surplus stores.

This wing looks like one that could have been worn, and if I were a betting man, I would say made around the KW time period or just post to that. 

2 minutes ago, pfrost said:

I think the liaison wings were obsolete by 1948 or so.  Exact date escapes me, but while the liaison pilot rating was no longer being used, I think that L pilots could still wear that old rating on their uniform well after that time period. In general the style of wing looks post WWII with the nail head pins and electrosoldering. However, I have always felt that we (collectors) tend to apply our OWN rules to things that we believe, based on nothing other than dealer lore and what someone on a forum said.

IIRC, Gemsco bought many of the AMICO dies after WWII but before Korea (although I may be incorrect exactly on who bought who and when)--so correct me if I am wrong. You find GEMSCO made wings (and unmarked) pilot wings that probably date from the KW time period. You also find GEMSCO wings that were probably made as souvenir items (like TO wings) that were sold in various venues like Army/Navy surplus stores.

This wing looks like one that could have been worn, and if I were a betting man, I would say made around the KW time period or just post to that. 

thanks for your consideration of this item, it's been hitting me every time i look at it, could be KW but looks a little newer. thanks patrick 

Dates are kind of irrelevant in many ways. First and foremost do YOU like it?

There were really no lines in the sand drawn between specific dates where they changed things.  After WWII ended there was a pretty good length of time where guys were going out of the service (then back in during Korean War) then back out, then back in for the Cold war. There was overlap with WWII/KW and VN era soldiers.  The companies making insignia likely just pulled out dies and made stuff as they saw fit, and the companies selling stuff to the soldiers probably just reused old stock or bought new stock (again as they saw fit).

I see nothing really wrong with this wing, just that I suspect it was born sometime after WWII ended. But that is just a guess

On 4/8/2022 at 2:08 PM, pfrost said:

Dates are kind of irrelevant in many ways. First and foremost do YOU like it?

There were really no lines in the sand drawn between specific dates where they changed things.  After WWII ended there was a pretty good length of time where guys were going out of the service (then back in during Korean War) then back out, then back in for the Cold war. There was overlap with WWII/KW and VN era soldiers.  The companies making insignia likely just pulled out dies and made stuff as they saw fit, and the companies selling stuff to the soldiers probably just reused old stock or bought new stock (again as they saw fit).

I see nothing really wrong with this wing, just that I suspect it was born sometime after WWII ended. But that is just a guess

i was born right at the starting of the korean war and as a young kid i got to see eisenhower and kennedy on the tube that makes me older than some wings!!!