Why would someone paint an enamel DI? (31st Div)

jkopz

I recently acquired this insignia, and it seems someone used orange paint to cover the central star shape. I think the enamel underneath is blue. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if it were blue the DI would be for the 31st Tank Co, 31st Infantry Division. And I'm guessing the orange is for a signal company? 31st Signal Company?

Anyway, besides a definite identification, I am truly curious as to why someone would paint a DI like this. Perhaps an orange enameled one was unavailable, and so this one was improvised in a pinch? Is the orange one way more valuable and this is someone's attempt to make money? It's a mystery to me.

1931812971_2021-10-1312_06_22.jpg.39f2d52b234293adde68847296130b09.jpg957903897_2021-10-1312_21_40.jpg.4d24ad0ba7cfd26fa3977abbe38b5243.jpg

Yes, the blue bastioned fort is blue for the 31st Tank Co and orange for the 31st Signal Co.

Probably someone’s attempt at making a DI they could not acquire or sell otherwise.

I have seen attempts to paint damaged enamel in the same color….

Thank you for the confirmation of the identification, I appreciate it!

I hadn't considered that the enamel underneath might be damaged. That seems like a good reason someone might try to paint it--if it was already damaged beyond repair.