Help with 75 mm Projectile ID

crotalus358

I've had this in my collection for quite some time, but haven't been able to get a good ID on it.  Measures out at a 75 mm, but the red tip seems to be hollow, and has a black crinkle paint finish on the body of the projectile.

Total length is approx. 13".

The only markings I can find are on the bottom ring '24' and 'J'.  

Any help is appreciated!!

Steve

20211013_150042.jpg

20211013_150054.jpg

20211013_150111.jpg

20211013_150124.jpg

20211013_150207.jpg

9 hours ago, lilfry14 said:

Looks like an m61 round to me. The hollow nosecone is the ballistic cap. Hole in the bottom could be for a tracer.

Thanks for the input.  The construction seems to line up with an M61 - thanks for the assist with that!

I'm guessing that the red and black finish is not issue, based on the examples that I've seen online?

Steve

The color would be black with white lettering if the cavity was empty (not loaded with HE). If the cavity was loaded with HE, it would be OD green with yellow lettering. After a few months in the field, it was found the HE filled projectiles did not penetrate armor as well as the HE empty projectiles did and the HE filling was discontinued.

Picture shows an example of an HE APC M61 on ET.

5D67B675-1EBA-4540-BDBF-F6FCE969EBC2.jpeg

11 hours ago, 917601 said:

The color would be black with white lettering if the cavity was empty (not loaded with HE). If the cavity was loaded with HE, it would be OD green with yellow lettering. After a few months in the field, it was found the HE filled projectiles did not penetrate armor as well as the HE empty projectiles did and the HE filling was discontinued.

Picture shows an example of an HE APC M61 on ET.

5D67B675-1EBA-4540-BDBF-F6FCE969EBC2.jpeg

Thank you both for the info!  Much appreciated.

As it's obviously a GI-painted souvenir, what would something like this be worth - I'm looking at moving along this and other inert ordnance that doesn't fit in my collection anymore.

Steve

A proper shell casing will be tough to find in order to complete....Will take a 3" army or M26 marked casing, both of which can be hard to find on this side of the pond....Somebody will likely also strip it and do a repaint....Having said this , it's still about a $150 round...Bodes

Just now, Bodes said:

A proper shell casing will be tough to find in order to complete....Will take a 3" army or M26 marked casing, both of which can be hard to find on this side of the pond....Somebody will likely also strip it and do a repaint....Having said this , it's still about $150 round...Bodes

Bodes,

Thanks for the input.  I'll likely be putting it up here.  Much appreciated.

Steve

4 hours ago, Bodes said:

A proper shell casing will be tough to find in order to complete....Will take a 3" army or M26 marked casing, both of which can be hard to find on this side of the pond....Somebody will likely also strip it and do a repaint....Having said this , it's still about a $150 round...Bodes

Bodes- you are not correct. The Army 3” is an entire different round. It is 76mm, and by far much rarer, many novices make that mistake. 
The APC round for the Army 3” is the M62 designation, ( I won’t confuse the issue with the other commonly mistaken Army 3” and Navy 3”/50 issue). The M62 was loaded into the extremely rare 3” lacquered steel case OR the M26 case. The only correct case for this M61 projectile ( a Sherman tank round) is the much shorter brass 75mm M18 case. See pictures, the M18 on left ( correct) the Army 3” on right.

09D9789F-E7BB-4B18-BBBC-75C837335BA1.jpeg

Addition: the Army 3” was used in WW2 tank destroyer units, thus the desirability for collectors. Some cases were made in brass, very hard to find but as the war progressed and brass shortages were rampant, steel cases were developed. Due to being made of steel, the problem of rust and corrosion over the years makes a lacquered steel case a true rarity. A 75mm M18 case can still be found for about $100-150 depending on markings ( date stamp, ordnance markings, condition).

Note: The M61 APC projectile you have has a spun nose cap pressure fitted on. If knocked hard, it can fall off, very difficult to reattach once removed. I have seen more than a few with the “ windshield” ( hollow spun nose cap) missing. 

4 hours ago, 917601 said:

Bodes- you are not correct. The Army 3” is an entire different round. It is 76mm, and by far much rarer, many novices make that mistake. 
The APC round for the Army 3” is the M62 designation, ( I won’t confuse the issue with the other commonly mistaken Army 3” and Navy 3”/50 issue). The M62 was loaded into the extremely rare 3” lacquered steel case OR the M26 case. The only correct case for this M61 projectile ( a Sherman tank round) is the much shorter brass 75mm M18 case. See pictures, the M18 on left ( correct) the Army 3” on right.

My bad, got it confused with the M62 which would be a 3" or 76mm....My round has M62 and 3" on the base....Painted an olive drab color....The Mk2 No. 2 B1 is the lacquered steel case....The B1 meaning they changed the material from brass to steel....The earlier brass Mk2 No. 2 can also be used with the M62 round....You are correct, the 75mm Sherman tank round used the shorter M18 casing....I have a 75mm Sherman round with the head designated M61 and the case being an M18....Bodes

3 minutes ago, Bodes said:

My bad, got it confused with the M62 which would be a 3" or 76mm....My round has M62 and 3" on the base....Painted an olive drab color....The Mk2 No. 2 B1 is the lacquered steel case....The B1 meaning they changed the material from brass to steel....The earlier brass Mk2 No. 2 can also be used with the M62 round....You are correct, the 75mm Sherman tank round used the shorter M18 casing....I have a 75mm Sherman round with the head designated M61 and the case being an M18....Bodes

I bought a brass Mk2 No. 2 on the internet, but it was located in western Europe...These and the M26 casings have gotten hard to find here stateside....The majority staying overseas when the war ended....Bodes 

18 minutes ago, Bodes said:

I bought a brass Mk2 No. 2 on the internet, but it was located in western Europe...These and the M26 casings have gotten hard to find here stateside....The majority staying overseas when the war ended....Bodes 

My bad again...Mk2 M2.....Bodes