DI with Chinese writing?

Pointedcuffs

kiaiokalewa

That there in center is suppose to be representative of a torch of knowledge.  So it would be reasonable to assume that this insignia represents one of the many training centers under U.S. Advisor supervision.   

I have a co-worker that is proficient in Kanji Chinese Characters and will ask her to translate.  Stay in tune.

kiaiokalewa

Well one out of four  characters she was able to identify which is the one on the bottom.  Roughly translates to meaningful and/or prideful. The other characters she was unable to figure out  probably due to their military nature or meaning.

It's a start though.

kiaiokalewa

Although the "learning torch" is more obvious in this Ramgarh Training Center DI the concept seems transparent to me at least in the unknown insignia.  

Screenshot_20211012-184642_eBay.jpg

Pointedcuffs

Great Information! Thank you! I have a better direction to research.

I just showed this to my Chinese language expert who immediately said "Oh JEEZ!" She said that she would have a difficult time actually translating the kanji, but basically, she said that the characters are things that people should emulate like Pride, Loyalty, Bravery, and Honesty. I tried to press her for anything specific, but she wasn't having it. I also asked if there were any military type terms on the image. She said no, nothing specifically military. She did say that the center was related to Taipei, which I believe she meant Nationalist Chinese, 

I should mention that she grew up speaking Mandurian and not Cantonese. That really shouldn't affect the meaning of the characters, but she said that certain regions give words different meanings- sort of like we have different areas of the US that call the same item a bag, a sack or a poke depending on where we are.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Allan

Airborne-Hunter

The center to me looks to be a compass rose over a Chinese Nationalist sun. 

I showed it to someone and they said its either Taiwanese or Nationalist era and that the characters are "old school." To me the construction is of the 40s, but that could still be either Nationalist or Taiwan.

Pointedcuffs

Thank you for the additional help. This is a fun one.

kiaiokalewa

I keep on forgetting that one of my wifey's best friend from  childhood is a Tawainese national with family all over Taipei.  One them old timers should be able to assist.  

Stay in tuned.

kiaiokalewa

Okay here's what the characters represent.  Sounding like a military academy.

Screenshot_20211013-114520_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211013-152253_Messages.jpg

kiaiokalewa

Central design is steering to a "moral compass" motif and A-H's observation of compass rose seems to be sound.  

I shared the latest insignia (likely a pocket hanging badge) with my co-worker and she stated the the upper characters is representative of "new recruit" and the characters below is "take action"