So who picked up the Dibbs, Linz Bros, and early Dunham wings on Live Auctioneers?

blind pew

There were several wings up for auction today, which were apparently part of the collection of a recently deceased member here. 

It looks like the Dibbs, Dunham, and Linz Bros wings all went for a good price, which is great for the estate of the family. 

Anyone here pick up one of those wings? 

It kind of made me consider willing my collection to the WW1 museum, rather than have a collection broken up and auctioned off. 

2 minutes ago, blind pew said:

There were several wings up for auction today, which were apparently part of the collection of a recently deceased member here. 

It looks like the Dibbs, Dunham, and Linz Bros wings all went for a good price, which is great for the estate of the family. 

Anyone here pick up one of those wings? 

It kind of made me consider willing my collection to the WW1 museum, rather than have a collection broken up and auctioned off. 

PS- I read the obituary of Terry Morris and did not realize what a stud that guy was. He seemed like such a humble guy when he posted here and I never would have thought that he was a Special Forces member in Vietnam and involved in all that combat. What a guy!

10 hours ago, Bob Hudson said:

Yep-

Holy crap that guy was amazing! It's kind of hard to believe that guys like that walk among us who have such incredible lives and accomplishments. 

I am just a doctor and feel as though what I have done pales in comparison. 

Whoever had the winning bids just went beyond my max bids. I thought I had put up bids that would get at least one, but am glad the family got more cash. 

I already have examples of Dibbs, Dunham, and Linz Bros, so it was not heart breaking. However, whoever picked them up got some very nice wings. Let's hope they cherish them as much as Terry Morris did. 

I watched the auction with great interest.  I think in the end, the prices realized reflect the strong, healthy nature of the wing collecting hobby.  Rare wings remain in high demand and continue to fetch high prices at auctions and on dealer sites.  It also did not hurt that these most recent pieces were illustrated in Terry's book.  

All in, some lucky collector/s managed to add some harder to find specimens to their collection/s.

Chris

On 10/13/2021 at 7:14 PM, cwnorma said:

I watched the auction with great interest.  I think in the end, the prices realized reflect the strong, healthy nature of the wing collecting hobby.  Rare wings remain in high demand and continue to fetch high prices at auctions and on dealer sites.  It also did not hurt that these most recent pieces were illustrated in Terry's book.  

All in, some lucky collector/s managed to add some harder to find specimens to their collection/s.

Chris

Indeed- nice pickups

I put in good bids. However, was ultimately happy that someone else got them, as I already have examples of each.  Particularly the Dibbs is hard to find and an interesting wing. The Linz Bros was a "sweetheart" wing and different from the full size Linz wings. 

I watched the auction as well.  I did put in what I thought were good bids on the Dunham and Tiffany wings, as well as a few others.  I was fortunate to win the BB&B Dallas Wings.  I have Terry's book and had corresponded with him several times over the years as I learned more about WW1 wings.    I'm very glad to have at least one of the identified wings that had been in his collection.