Mystery Chevron...ROTC? Something else?

Capt.Confederacy

Capt.Confederacy

Hi,

Out of a pile of miscellaneous patches I dug through at a recent gun show, I found a few interesting ones including this chevron.  It appears to be felt on felt and has been used, but I'm unsure of what it actually is.  At first, I thought ROTC but thought that it might be something completely different.  Can anyone shed any light on this one?

Thanks.

Red Chevrons Front.jpg

Red Chevrons Back.jpg

hold it up to a strong light to see if there are any stitching marks. The Army adopted the new OD on Dark Blue Wool chevrons in 1920. At first there were supply chain issues getting the new chevrons to all the bases. Wanting to comply with the chevrons for the seven new grades, soldiers modified many chevrons produced prior to 1920 by picking out the stitches holding a device or an embroidered device. As seen in the chart above, this chevron could have been a Pricipal Musician, First Sergeant, or Drum Major in the Coast Artillery Corps.

The set of Coast Artillery chevrons above were issued well into the 1930s.

I have several WWI style chevrons that had the design picked out. You can see the former branch insignia or device by holding the chevron up to a light. In his book about Chevrons, Emerson states that was a common occurrance in the 1920s.

On the other hand, it could be very well an ROTC or Civilian Police chevron.

Capt.Confederacy
14 hours ago, hardstripe said:

hold it up to a strong light to see if there are any stitching marks. The Army adopted the new OD on Dark Blue Wool chevrons in 1920. At first there were supply chain issues getting the new chevrons to all the bases. Wanting to comply with the chevrons for the seven new grades, soldiers modified many chevrons produced prior to 1920 by picking out the stitches holding a device or an embroidered device. As seen in the chart above, this chevron could have been a Pricipal Musician, First Sergeant, or Drum Major in the Coast Artillery Corps.

The set of Coast Artillery chevrons above were issued well into the 1930s.

I have several WWI style chevrons that had the design picked out. You can see the former branch insignia or device by holding the chevron up to a light. In his book about Chevrons, Emerson states that was a common occurrance in the 1920s.

On the other hand, it could be very well an ROTC or Civilian Police chevron.

Thanks for the info.

I've held it up to the light, but I don't see any evidence of anything having been removed in the area under the chevrons.  It looks like it was just issued that way.  Perhaps it was an error and whoever got it just decided to go with it.

Thanks again.