1966 U.S. Air Force Photo: Maj. Frank R Chandler wearing rare Tiger Stripe Flight Suit.

Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane

1966 U.S. Air Force Photo: Maj. Frank R Chandler wearing rare Tiger Stripe Flight Suit.

Da Nang, Chandler was the Navigator / Bombardier. On the right the pilot, Capt. Dan K Hastings

B-57 Canberra.

tigerstripe.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
LE LOUP DES MERS
On 10/12/2021 at 5:53 AM, Jennings Lane said:

Da Nang, Chandler was the Navigator / Bombardier. On the right the pilot, Capt. Dan K Hastings

B-57 Canberra.

tigerstripe.JPG

I actually knew a collector who owned an original tiger stripe flight suit. Here is an old photo (about 2 years old) of one of his Vietnam displays in his surplus store. His surplus store is sadly no longer open, he also offered that flight suit to me but he was asking $1,000 and at the time I did not have the money. Flight suit is on the left.

5b36cf957d677afa74fee51e47e77a2e~2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Jennings Lane

Thanks Jerry and  Le Loup Des Mers  for responding. The photo came from a veteran's estate. He had actually served in country in three wars. Navy in WW2, Army in Korea and Air Force in Vietnam. In Vietnam he had been in press relations, hence the press photo of the flier. For a while there were collectors that doubted the authenticity of these flight suits. But, enough photos have surfaced to prove beyond any doubt they were legit.

13 hours ago, Jennings Lane said:

Thanks Jerry and  Le Loup Des Mers  for responding. The photo came from a veteran's estate. He had actually served in country in three wars. Navy in WW2, Army in Korea and Air Force in Vietnam. In Vietnam he had been in press relations, hence the press photo of the flier. For a while there were collectors that doubted the authenticity of these flight suits. But, enough photos have surfaced to prove beyond any doubt they were legit.

There's an early LIFE Magazine article that showed USMC helicopter crewmen wearing such suits. 

LE LOUP DES MERS

Since we're talking about tiger stripe flight suits what would a real one be worth? Like i said earlier, i could have bought one for $1,000 and I'm wondering if that would have been a good deal.