UPCOMING SHOWS (2022)

LIFER

If you were able to attend one show, what would it be, and why. This could be any where in CONUS. Looking to go to a big show, or one that has quality items. 

U.S. and/or 1950's to date, a plus.

Hand down the "Show of Shows" 2000 table show in Louisville, Ky. put on by Ohio Valley Military Society. They put on 4 quality shows a year. 2 in Wilmington, Oh, one the "MAX" show in York, Pa., and the big one, the "Show of Shows" in Louisville once a year in February. Dave

1 hour ago, Ivydiv said:

Hand down the "Show of Shows" 2000 table show in Louisville, Ky. put on by Ohio Valley Military Society. They put on 4 quality shows a year. 2 in Wilmington, Oh, one the "MAX" show in York, Pa., and the big one, the "Show of Shows" in Louisville once a year in February. Dave

I second this assessment! Coming up will be my eighth time going and I've never been disappointed by the treasures I find. If you are looking for low density stuff like I do (I collect just Quartermaster Corps materials) then do make time for the Show of Shows. And bring a fair amount of cash, shoes you can depend on, and a bag to carry things like water, snacks, etc.

4 hours ago, Ivydiv said:

I would agree also. This year was my best haul at SOS.  Lots quality hands down. That picture is what I scored this year down there. Looking forward to 2022 show. Wilmington is always good. Never been to MAX show of though. 

DF4FF9BE-EB77-447E-9CEE-314C09D0AB5A.jpeg

An amazing group of knives. Anyone would have been thrilled to find just one of these. The Show of Shows is truly an event, not just another show. First class all the way. Dave

On 10/11/2021 at 1:51 PM, Ivydiv said:

Good to know. Aware of the show in Ky, and the ones that put it on. Talking and with other collectors, the word is there  is a lot of axis stuff, and reproductions. Along with ww2 items, at really high prices. Then, some Korean, Vietnam and Gulf war items. 

Being a large show, should be worth while, if there is some quality stuff, and the ones that host it, have some quality people. 

On 10/11/2021 at 3:00 PM, Major Z said:

I second this assessment! Coming up will be my eighth time going and I've never been disappointed by the treasures I find. If you are looking for low density stuff like I do (I collect just Quartermaster Corps materials) then do make time for the Show of Shows. And bring a fair amount of cash, shoes you can depend on, and a bag to carry things like water, snacks, etc.

I  will check it out. Those are some good tips. 

On 10/11/2021 at 6:01 PM, Sarchione said:

I would agree also. This year was my best haul at SOS.  Lots quality hands down. That picture is what I scored this year down there. Looking forward to 2022 show. Wilmington is always good. Never been to MAX show of though. 

DF4FF9BE-EB77-447E-9CEE-314C09D0AB5A.jpeg

It's always good, to find something. Nice finds.

Lifer, You will see high prices at all of the shows, and some reproductions. If you price your items reasonably at the Show of Shows, you will have one heck of a show. I am sure you have seen some dealers with the same stuff, in the same cases, that they have been in for the last thirty years. They were too high priced thirty years ago, and they are still too high priced now. They will be there forever. You will find the best treasures around at the Show of Shows. They may be not be cheap, but  the prices for rare items that only come along once in a blue moon are what you would expect to pay. Besides, where are you going to find, or even see another? Maybe never. There are some bargains to be found at the show if you look for them. Remember with that many dealers, there is a lot of competition. If you have say 9 of the items of a 10 item set, you may end up paying as much for the 10th and rarest than what you paid for the other 9 combined. That is just the way it goes. Searching for the 10th item is what keeps collectors on the hunt. If you have been looking for an item for the past 20 years and have never found, or even seen one, expect to pay the price for it when you find it. The Show of Shows is where you will find it. The time to buy it is when you see it.  Dave

2 hours ago, Ivydiv said:

Lifer, You will see high prices at all of the shows, and some reproductions. If you price your items reasonably at the Show of Shows, you will have one heck of a show. I am sure you have seen some dealers with the same stuff, in the same cases, that they have been in for the last thirty years. They were too high priced thirty years ago, and they are still too high priced now. They will be there forever. You will find the best treasures around at the Show of Shows. They may be not be cheap, but  the prices for rare items that only come along once in a blue moon are what you would expect to pay. Besides, where are you going to find, or even see another? Maybe never. There are some bargains to be found at the show if you look for them. Remember with that many dealers, there is a lot of competition. If you have say 9 of the items of a 10 item set, you may end up paying as much for the 10th and rarest than what you paid for the other 9 combined. That is just the way it goes. Searching for the 10th item is what keeps collectors on the hunt. If you have been looking for an item for the past 20 years and have never found, or even seen one, expect to pay the price for it when you find it. The Show of Shows is where you will find it. The time to buy it is when you see it.  Dave

"The time to buy it is when you see it."  Perfectly put Dave.  I go to there to find the rare.   I was surprised this year to come across as much as I did.  The rare is what keeps me on the hunt!!!!!

On 10/13/2021 at 10:50 AM, Ivydiv said:

Dave, That's good to know. I  agree and have seen this, with those having the same things, for the longest time, due to high prices. Okay, I will check out the show in Ky. 

Good advice on the SOS....it really can't be beat. I have had tables at the SOS and MAX show for a number of years and never regret going. The MAX show was in a new venue this year in York PA, which I felt was an improvement over the old one. The MAX is much smaller and less frenetic than the SOS. It also tends to have more of a TR focus. That said, it is also worth attending. I bought and sold some great stuff there. The July SOS and the MAX last month had a different feel than previous years because the Europeans were largely absent. I am hoping by Feb '22 they will be able to travel more freely. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2021 at 9:20 PM, LIFER said:

Dave, That's good to know. I  agree and have seen this, with those having the same things, for the longest time, due to high prices. Okay, I will check out the show in Ky. 

Want to ensure you are aware the OVMS/SOS  is primarily a membership event. Public is allowed to attend but not the first couple of days. If you are serious I strongly advise you join the OVMS and be there when the general membership gets in on Thursday (Dealer/Helpers only on Wednesday afternoon/eve).