Massachusetts State Guard Veterans Association

mrgsmvm

Here is a little something I am working on. It isn't fully completed but I do hope you enjoy the short description. I will replace it when I have it completed. Any constructive thoughts are always welcome.

Sincerely

John Gisetto Sr.

AKA: Captain Midnight

img132.jpg

Thanks for the like Sarge, Love the M. S. G. WW I officers uniform photo. What a great example. Do you have any M. S. G. WW I and later, up to 2016, photos of insignia and patches? Still trying to locate any photos that I don't have.

Sincerely

John Gisetto Sr.

You are certainly welcome. 

Unfortunately I do not have any period photos of the MSG.  I do have a photo of the owner of this uniform but it is postwar and he is in civilian clothing.

Thanks for the like Sarge, Love the M. S. G. WW I officers uniform photo. What a great example. Do you have any M. S. G. WW I and later, up to 2016, photos of insignia and patches? Still trying to locate any photos that I don't have.

Sincerely

John Gisetto Sr.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

The Massachusetts M.S.G. insignia to include patches and armbands, are and have always been difficult to find and photos are even harder to locate. So I am always asking-cant help but ask! I will post other Draft pages as I complete them and will look for feedback.

Question: Being a Moderator, have I been posting my Items. articles, etc. under the correct headings. I haven't seen a heading devoted to State Guard or State Defense Force so have been placing them where I thought they might be read.

Sincerely

John Gisetto Sr.

Yes, I think you are doing the right thing by posting under the descriptive headings.  I think that will get you more looks that way.  We don't have a Militia or State Guard section but as long as you put that wording, such as State Guard or MSG, etc., in your post it should be searchable.

• 5 months later...

Here is a small group of medals I obtained years ago in Massachusetts - Attributed to a WWII State Guardsman from West Springfield Massachusetts

Bill

IMG_5367.JPG

IMG_5368.JPG

Hello USMCR79;

Nice grouping of an active State Guardsman veteran! This group of medals are all post WW II production and not of WW I production. The Massachusetts State Guard Veterans Association did use the WW I produced medals until their supply ran out then started to issue the newer variety. 

Do you collect Massachusetts State Guard or are these just mementoes? 

I will post photos of some of my collection tomorrow. Check my Profile for my info. Thanks for showing this nice grouping.

Sincerely

John

3 minutes ago, mrgsmvm said:

Hello USMCR79;

Nice grouping of an active State Guardsman veteran! This group of medals are all post WW II production and not of WW I production. The Massachusetts State Guard Veterans Association did use the WW I produced medals until their supply ran out then started to issue the newer variety. 

Do you collect Massachusetts State Guard or are these just mementoes? 

I will post photos of some of my collection tomorrow. Check my Profile for my info. Thanks for showing this nice grouping.

Sincerely

John

John - The header said MSG Veterans Association - I did not realize that you meant WWI only - I collected YD for a long time so it was easy to run into some State Guard material from time to time.

I believe I mis-spoke. Your medal grouping is of the Massachusetts State Guard Veterans Association and awarded to a WW II Massachusetts State Guard Veteran. The WW I Massachusetts State Guard Veterans Association used the exact same medal but with a very slight addition. The only difference in the two variations was that those medals issued to the WW I State Guard Veteran, was: in the center of the medal is a pyramid, below the bottom of the pyramid is a date, 1917 - 1920: this date is the only difference. I have attached a photo for reference. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sincerely

John

img157.jpg

2 minutes ago, mrgsmvm said:

I believe I mis-spoke. Your medal grouping is of the Massachusetts State Guard Veterans Association and awarded to a WW II Massachusetts State Guard Veteran. The WW I Massachusetts State Guard Veterans Association used the exact same medal but with a very slight addition. The only difference in the two variations was that those medals issued to the WW I State Guard Veteran, was: in the center of the medal is a pyramid, below the bottom of the pyramid is a date, 1917 - 1920: this date is the only difference. I have attached a photo for reference. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sincerely

John

img157.jpg

Hi;

Woops, looks like I posted those medals twice; sorry about that but I do seem to mess up at times. I will post some of my Massachusetts State Guard (M.S.G.) later on today. Do you possibly have any M.S.G. to trade or sell as I am always looking?

Sincerely

John

Okay, here is a of photo of my collection of Massachusetts State Guard DIs along with some other goodies. I will send off more if you are interested. 

Sincerely

John.

100_5647.jpg

100_5078.jpg

100_5079.jpg

Mass SG OD Subdued (2).jpg

John,

Those are SUPER interesting!  I, for one, would like to see more.  Show us whatchu got!

Kevin

Hi Kevin;

Wow!! - Show us whatchu got! - Okay my friend, I will post more later today.

Sincerely

John

Hi Kevin;

Wow!! - Show us whatchu got! - Okay my friend, I will post more later today.

Sincerely

John

Here you go USMCR79, KevinBeyer and others. Enjoy and if you have any questions just ask and I will answer the best I can.

Sincerely

John

100_5625.jpg

dscf0058.jpg

dscf0059.jpg

100_5538 (2).jpg

Harry Partridge served with the 2nd Mass. in Cuba, 26th Infantry in the Philippines, and rejoined the Massachusetts NG (Mex Border & WWI) and later joined the MSG

Harry Partridge.JPG

AWESOME Group, IMHO !!I too have a somewhat similar Group to Sgt. Edward J. Martin, who also served at the El Caney battle with the 2nd Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment. H served with the 2nd Mass. for a great many years, & later served in the M.S.G. during WW1. He went on to to be the Armored at the Springfield Armory, finally Retiring in 1943 after a very long service career. Some day, hopefully soon, I'll try to get his Group Posted up here.

Best,    Dom P.  /  'dpast32'

21 minutes ago, dpast32 said:

AWESOME Group, IMHO !!I too have a somewhat similar Group to Sgt. Edward J. Martin, who also served at the El Caney battle with the 2nd Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment. H served with the 2nd Mass. for a great many years, & later served in the M.S.G. during WW1. He went on to to be the Armored at the Springfield Armory, finally Retiring in 1943 after a very long service career. Some day, hopefully soon, I'll try to get his Group Posted up here.

Best,    Dom P.  /  'dpast32'

I'd like to see that group!!

Bill

Hello Guys;

USMCR79 that photo is great and a nice grouping. dpast32, do you have a photo of the group you spoke of as I would love to see that also. I have always been hesitant of showing my groups that are in my collection to most people but being a member of this group has changed that attitude somewhat. I will take photos and periodically post them. If either of you guys get a hankering to part with any Massachusetts items let me know. Talt to you guys soon along with additional photos.

Sincerely

John

10-04 Guys, It will be my pleasure to exhibit it here. However, Q do have to literally 'dig' it out, & right now I believe there's a couple of other Boxes ( Groups ) on top of it. Just a couple of days ago someone asked me to inventory another of my New England Boy's Groups, & I had to start moving Boxes all around to get at that one. So, please give me a few days to organize everything, & hopefully I'll be good to go. Be advised that I have a bunch of assorted items belonging to Martin, so be warned. I ended up with a bunch of his paperwork also. IIRC, he was overseas with Company C, of the 2nd, I think. What I found nice was that his official Massachusetts Military Document[s] note distinctly that he was present at El Caney, which of coursevwas reassuring, as it left no doubt that indeed he was there ! In addition to serving, he appears to have been involved with a few Veteran's Organizations also. Please stay tuned.

Best,    Dom P.

My wife and I are in the last stages of inventorying my collection; both State Guard, Massachusetts Volunteer Militia and Massachusetts Naval Militia/Brigade. We figure we have another three weeks to complete the inventory. It's tiering work as each group or item needs to be itemized, photographed and then add everything to the inventory sheet.

I live in Southeastern Mass. and have lived here since the very early 1950s. I started collecting when my uncles started disposing of and giving some of their stuff to me after r being discharged from WW II service. Attache is the Front and Rear cover of my latest publication.

Sincerely

John

img158.jpg

img159.jpg

Hey John, How are you ? I, as both a Collector & Researcher very much appreciate your work in documenting the M.S.G. ! I'm currently attempting to document the WW2 & Korean War era Service of another Massachusetts native. He was Sgt. James F. Scale, Service # 20114201, originally from Beverly, Mass., although he ended up later in Falls Church, VA, where he passed away on 11/09/1987. Although I have numerous Groups to Massachusetts Veterans, this one is somewhat unique in that his Group consists primarily of the 7.65mm M-1935 Beretta Pistol, which was accompanied by the original 1945 date 'Capture Papers'. So naturally, I had to document his Service if at all possible. It turned out he must have obtained the Pistol while serving in France with Service Battery, 102nd Field Artillery, of the U.S. 26th Infantry Division. I had initially surmised that he may have served in Italy at sometime during the War, as the Beretta was in seemingly in issued condition, thereby alerting me to the possibility that he might have located it at some enemy Supply Depot, or perhaps even the Beretta Factory ? However, upon further research, that possibility didn't exist, as his unit wasn't at any time in Italy. I've W attempting to locate the 102nd F.A.'s WW2 Unit History, but haven't yet found a copy. When I finally finish his Notebook, I'd be happy to let you know what else I dig up, if you're interested of course ? Take care John !

Best,    Dom P.